Tuesday, March 01, 2005

DCist on Metro Buses

Today I'm suggesting you take a look at two recent articles, courtesy of DCist, that discuss the bus riding experience in DC.

Looking at Our Metro Bus: Part I & Part II

Buses definitely deserve a little respect in this city (face it, metrorail won't always get you where you want to go). I remember that key buses like the X2 (the H Street line) continued to run even when metrorail shut down during the big snow storm in 2003. During that storm taxis charged double fares (plus they mostly just ran on main streets), and since side streets weren't plowed you couldn't get your own car out. So buses and walking became the only way to get around. I was impressed by the hourly X2 service during that storm, but I am less impressed that Metro requires me to pay ($1.75 I think) and stand around in long lines just to obtain a bus map (don't other cities just give these things away?).

2 comments:

Richard Layman said...

$1.35 for the bus. Much lower than in other places like Philadelphia.

inked said...

Actually, it's $1.25 for the bus. $1.35 is the base price for metrorail.