Tuesday, April 26, 2005

All Boarded-Up at 2nd and K

I was walking down 2nd Street the other day when I came to the block between K and L Streets. Almost the entire block was boarded-up. P1010144

P1010145
I have seen entire blocks of boarded-up houses, but I feel like it's a pretty rare occurance around here. I was curious to see these places from the back (often places that appear boarded-up from the front are much less so in the back). Here's what I found:
P1010156
P1010155
P1010150
P1010154
Talk about an illegal dumping problem. So looking at this block, the abandoned trash truck (pictured below), & the junkies down the street, I'm thinking the developers (at 3rd & L) should consider changing their condos' tag line.

6 comments:

Richard Layman said...

Nice work. Seems to me like these photos will make a useful submission to the Zoning Commission with regard to the extension of the developer's PUD zoning and the judgement of their fitness...

inked said...

To be clear, Richard is referring to the developers that own this boarded up block, NOT the developers doing the 300L stuff (the ones I reference in the post).
Here is a link (provided by Richard) to an article discussing the developers who own this boarded-up block.

Biz Journal

Anonymous said...

Mr.Cohen has been a very bad neighbor for over 15 years and city authorities have decided to overlook it.

inked said...

I shot more photos of the area than just these, and I saw some pretty nasty stuff. I'm sure rats would love to breed back there, and I would bet anything that used needles could be found in that alley. Plus, definite fire risk. He should at least be getting slapped with some huge fines. That block is ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Are there any neighbors around there? If there are, I wonder what they experience (crackheads, rodents, etc.)

inked said...

Nearby blocks are inhabited. There are definite crackheads nearby (but I think they predate this situation). I would suspect that there must be some rodents, and the whole block is obviously a fire risk.