Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Starburst Plaza II

This part II see part I below.

What happened after the presentations was a departure from the earlier part of the meeting. At this point 4 women who identified themselves as being from the 1400 block of Morse spoke up and pretty much objected to idea of a plaza all together. They said things along the line of (please excuse me if my quotes are slightly off, these are to the best of my recollection) "just pave it over," "we don't want it," no you can't speak," and "I don't have to listen to you." They essentially accused DDOT & PPS of coming into a neighborhood that the organizations knew nothing about and imposing this plaza plan. They stood and shouted their opinions in the most disruptive manner they could muster. They were joined (somewhat) by a gentleman who objected to the changes in traffic DDOT proposed. He suggested that DDOT should follow a plan allegedly (I don't know if her office actually proposed this) by Councilmember Abrose's office. That plan allegedly involved not so much a plaza, but more just a super low maintenance grassy area. Whoever proposed this plan, is (in my opinion) selling the area considerably short. There are (as was acknowledged by many parties) serious maintenance issues. After all, what group will step up to watch over and care for a fountain & any plants DDOT installs? We should not underestimate our neighborhood. After all, we are home to many concerned & engaged citizens, both old & new. Why reject an ambitious plan, when we should be stepping up to the plate? The unfortunate fact is that this particular audience either did not express a strong enough opinion against the naysayers (in favor of progress), or allowed itself to be intimidated/swayed by the loud words of eternal protestors who I do not think accurately reflect the opinions of most residents. In fact, when I shared my concerns with other residents of Trindad (some long term & one whose family has lived here for generations --I don't want to imply that length of residency should dictate authority, but only to show that this is NOT a battle of old versus new residents) they were familiar with these particular individuals & suggested that the women were constantly in opposition to change. This notion went along (in my mind) with (very neutral) in meeting references from Karina Ricks (Office of Planning --Great Streets Program Manager) regarding traffic on Morse (a complaint previously voiced by the women). I am acutely aware that many people have lived in this neighborhood for many years and that a good number of these people have fought long and hard to combact the various scourges that have afflicted (and to varying degrees continue to afflict) this community. I in no way wish to diminish those struggles or accomplishments. I will certainly acknowledge that there are times and places where it might be appropriate to stand up and outright reject certain plans that the District, or certain developers may attempt to foist upon us, but I firmly believe that this is NOT one of those times. We live in a community that many people believe that the city has long neglected. Now the city wants to spend millions to improve an intersection that is (I would argue) indisputably problematic in its current state. If we don't spend the money now it could (as was pointed out by DDOT) easily disappear. The money will get spent. Whether it gets spent here is up to us. Frankly, we'd be fools not to take this investment for all it's worth. I'm not the only one who thinks so . Both Anwar Saleem (head of H Street Main Street) & Reverend Bynum (a long time communty member & activist) spoke out in favor of developing the plaza & against resisting change simply out of fear. The scary fact is that DDOT seemed to back off (in response to the volatile speech of a few very vocal residents) on some of its proposals (the fountain, benches, & flowers) . We should not let this happen. So my point is that we should all go (get your friends, get your neighbors) to the next meeting in September. In addition, we should email any thoughts & comments on the proposed plaza to Karina Ricks at karina.ricks@dc.gov within the next two weeks. If we don't actively engage in the process, we don't have any right to complain when things don't go the way we want them to go. So how about we engage?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just emailed her.

Anonymous said...

I just read your post and frankly, I'm shocked (although maybe I shouldn't be). I just sent Ms. Ricks an email of support for the project, with all the bells and whistles (plants, flowers, artwork, etc.). If public plazas can be maintained by the city in other parts of town (i.e. NW), then why can't the same be done here?

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the other meetings, but I definitely plan to be at the next one. Thank you for recapping the meeting and reporting on the viewpoints of some of the attendees. I had no idea that people would actually show up and argue AGAINST building a plaza and beautifying the intersection. Unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post. I was at the meeting and was also equally frustrated with the 4 women's fear of change and their heckling of the presenters. They behaved very badly and made it very difficult for others to express their opinions & views. I've lived in Ward 6 for 2 years (DC for 8) and sometimes going to these meetings is extremely disheartening but I know its important that I keep going as a supportive voice. Residents new and old to the neighborhood should be able to express their views equally.

By the end of the starburst meeting, the majority of the room was in support of the plaza. But I fear they did not get a clear determination of which plan, active or passive, to proceed with.

I also think that the active plaza design is better. When all the new restaurants open on H Street, the Georgetown Orchestra moves in, etc...lets face it this area is going to have a lot of activity. I'd love to be able to walk 4 blocks down to this plaza (rather than a mile to Lincoln Park) on a nice evening and feel safe.

I gave my email to one of the presenters and he said he would email me the images of the 2 designs. Once I get them, I'll be sure to forward them on to you to post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. I just sent Ms. Ricks an email of support for the project as well (as a resident living on 16th near Benning Road), and hope I'll be able to attend the next meeting and show my support in person.

Anonymous said...

I sent her a message too. Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

I am sending my email. I just moved to the area FROM Lincoln Park so would love a park in the area. Its a shame a small minority can ruin such a good plan.