A Few Notes on V. Orange's Meeting
I spoke with Whilhelmina Lawson, a Commissioner from ANC 5B. She attended the meeting called by Vincent Orange Friday night. Here's what she had to say (these are her recollections):
1. Robert Siegel is looking to open 2 places in the area (one of the possible locations is 1216 Mt. Olivet).
2. Around 100 people attended the meeting.
3. The meeting was a response to legislation from Jim Graham for relocating businesses displaced by the baseball stadium. (Comm. Lawson said Graham no longer plans to introduce this particular legislation on Tuesday).
4. Most attendees originally thought the strip clubs (the wording on V. Orange's flyer) would feature female dancers and cater to a primarily straight clientele. Most attendees opposed the opening of such businesses in the neighborhood.
5. Many attendees were even more upset when they learned that these would be businesses featuring dancing males and catering to a primarily gay male clientele.
-Only a tiny bit of (the nearby portion of) Mt. Olivet is zoned C-2-A (what most of the H Street Corridor is also zoned).
-Another tiny portion (in Ivy City) is zoned C-M-1, like all of Ivy City.
-The rest of nearby Mt. Olivet is zoned R-4 (residential, like most of Trinidad).
-Current zoning regulations (you can get exemptions to various zoning regs) state that sexually oriented businesses must be located 300 feet from other sexually oriented businesses & 600 feet from any: residence, special purpose district, church, school, library, or playground.