Thursday, March 02, 2006

Seeking H Street Info

From the listserv:

My name is Waylon Anderson. I am a dancer and choreographer. I need the support and help of the H street community. I'm creating two works about this diverse community and presenting them at the Atlas Performing Arts Center. The dances are based on life experiences in the community just prior to the riots of 1968 and the present day (including the transition this community is currently under taking). I would like for members of this site to e-mail me
three paragraphs. (Feel free to pass this on to anyone that you feel may be interested in submitting their story.) In the first paragraph, I would like for you to tell your experiences about H Street community/corridor in the months prior to the riots. What did the streets look like? What type of people lived in the community? What was your favorite store on the corridor? Where did you live? Why did you live there? What was the weather like? What were some of the vivid smells in the air? Etc. In the second paragraph, I would like for you to speak about the H Street community/corridor of today. Why are you still in the neighborhood? What brought you to this neighborhood? What do you love about it? What do you hate about it? What is your role in the community? Do you have a role in the community? Etc. In the third paragraph I would like you to talk about were you would like to see the community tomorrow. Please limit your writings to one page. Your writings will be used to support the new works, by sending me your stories you give me the right to use them to convey the essence of the H Street Community. With your support I will use your lives, experiences, and knowledge
to place a mirror in front of the community, and ask a few questions. What is your purpose? Why are you here? Do you know the meaning of all of this? I would like to use the art of dance to encourage people to get involved.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

wba76@msn.com

No comments: