Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Quike Challenge (Updated)

This is a repost from before because they still need to raise more money...and they need it by April 6th. So far they've raised about $1100 of the $3000 Quike needs to buy a synthetic skull. Can we give a little more?

********************************************
From the Comments:

Englert here, Elise--
Quike is not a former employee of the Argonaut, he will be coming back as soon as his next surgery is complete.
But we have a problem. Quike needs $3,000 for a new skull that is being constructed for him. Would the readers, lovers of Frozen Tropics like to help him out? I am asking for $30 bucks from 100 readers/friends/concerned citizens. I am throwing in the first $300 right now. That means we only need 90 of us to keep the thread going...Will the Frozen Tropics readers respond to my challenge?

**************************************
UPDATE
**************************************
Joe Englert:

Drop off your checks at the Argonaut. Make them to Quike Morales and in the memo: mark "donation for skull". If you have physical dolllars, all cash will be kept separately in a non-Argo related account. Thanks for all the interest!

The Argonaut is located at 1433 H Street NE

**************************************
2nd UPDATE
**************************************
There is now a way to make donations online. It's still better to drop your money off because Amazon will take a little off the top for all online donations, but this is a good option for those unable to make it to the Argonaut. Here is (once again) the video of Quike discussing the shooting last fall that cost him his eye and has required several surgeries. In the video Quike also talks about his latest project, Music is Bulletproof, where he uses music to raise funds for victims of neighborhood violence.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in for $30. How do I pay?

Anonymous said...

maybe set up a paypal account?

inked said...

I think for now you could probably drop the money off at the Argonaut.

Anonymous said...

I'm in. Joe, what's his deadline? Please keep us updated in case the fund runs short.

Anonymous said...

a paypal thing would be great for me. i'm super busy, and i could do it online off of my debit/credit card....

Flash Hardcore said...

I'm in. I'll drop it off during my weekly Sunday appearance at the Argo. Perhaps some sort of sign at the bar might not be a bad idea?

Anonymous said...

I will Drop my $30 at the Argonut, Thanks for the info.

scooterlulu said...

count me in too, again any options for payment besides dropping by the argo?

-scooter

Anonymous said...

Maybe a Paypal account should be set up on the Argonaut website, then Inked doesn't have to be responsible for setting up & managing the funds. I was at the fundraiser last year, but count me in to give again. I'll look for details and deadlines.

Anonymous said...

Back before the attack whenever we walked into the Argonaut Quike always recognized me with a friendly nod...even though we had never been introduced or spoken about anything except what I was ordering. He's a truly nice guy.

Anonymous said...

I'm in for $30, and my wife Jen is too. Let us know how to pay

inked said...

Let's be clear. I'm not handling any money (electronically, or otherwise). Take your money to the Argonaut. If I hear of another way you can pay, I will let you know.

Unknown said...

Count me in. I'll drop it off next time I'm at the Argo.

Maureen Benitz said...

I'm in too. Elise - do you have an email address or phone number for Joe where we could ask him directly (instead of bugging you!):)

Thanks!

inked said...

I sent him an email asking. I'll let you know when I hear.

Anonymous said...

Joe Englert:

Drop off your checks at the Argonaut. Make them to Quike Morales and in the memo: mark "donation for skull".If you have physical dolllars, all cash will be kept separately in a non-Argo related account. Thanks for all the interest!

Anonymous said...

I'm in. Please post the address for the Argonaut. Thx!

Unknown said...

I'm definitely in, and will spread the word to friends in the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

The Argo address is 1433 H St NE. You all should take some time out of your busy days to step out, walk around the neighborhood and drop off your generous and kind donations. Another good step towards community building.

inked said...

Yes, 1433 H. There is now (see the updated post) a way to make donations online. It's still better to drop of your donation at the Argo because Amazon is going to shave a bit off the top of each online donation, but this is a great option for people who are unable to make it to the tavern.

Wells said...

I am in.

I will drop off my $30 next time I go to the Argo.

Anonymous said...

I just paid on Amazon. So easy!

Anonymous said...

I gave on amazon and just gave a couple of extra dollars to cover anything they might shave off. I have never met Quike but this is a good cause and I have heard so many positive things about him.

Anonymous said...

I'm in for $30 too. And I'm just curious--Is there any chance Mr. Englert will be setting up a health insurance plan for his ever-expanding employee roster on H Street? It would be a selling point for hiring and retaining employees, and I'm sure his current employees would be very grateful. On top of that, it's just the right thing to do, particularly in light of Quike's predicament.

Anonymous said...

did the amazon thing. i know they skim, but ..... needed to do it now, or i'll just get caught up in other stuff ....

Anonymous said...

How we coming? Any update on the fund raising?

Anonymous said...

Elise, we are about half way there for Quike's new skull. We have about $1100 in donations, and my $300 dare. So, we have until April 6th to do it. Can you post one more reminder?