Friday, July 06, 2007

Gunshots Off Benning

IMG_2819_2
The station where a suspect was left bleeding from multiple gunshots.
An armed man was shot several times and later died of his wounds. Police did fire on the man, but it is not clear if they hit him, or if he was shot by a third party. The Post reports here.
A previous version of this post (relying on the Post story) stated that the shooting took place of Bladensburg Road. Actually, it was 17th & Benning Road. After an exchange of gunfire with police the suspect fled (in a vehicle) down Florida Avenue and he was dumped outside the firestation over by the Nifty Thrift (the WUSA9 article says he was dumped outside a fire station in the 1100 block of Morse, but uh, there isn't one there, so I assume that they meant to refer to the station on Florida Ave that the Post mentions). It isn't entirely clear to me why both the Post & WUSA9 managed to bungle the addresses like that, but at least they got the right quadrant this time (the Post mixed up NE & SE last week). I'm guessing the reporters weren't given many details. ABC7 avoids the problem by only saying 17th Street, and not providing any cross street.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live just a block away from where this happened. I heard a series of gunshots at almost the exact time that was stated in the article (12:20AM). It was very easy to tell it was gunshots and not fireworks. A couple minutes later, I heard more shots. For those familiar with the area, the shootings occurred at the Laundromat at 17th & Bladensburg, just south of Heckinger Mall. I'm sure more news will come out about this.
-PHS

Liz said...

I knew I avoided that laundromat for a reason. I live at 19th and Benning, and I too heard those shots.

Anonymous said...

That is a big surprise that there would be gunshots on Benning Road. And it has a reputation of being such a lovely area of town.