More on the the Early AM Fire
Here's what a reader had to say about it-
Thought I'd give you a heads up that last night a smoldering mattress behind Horace and Dickey's/Philly Water Ice caught fire and the grease vats behind Horace and Dickey's exploded with fire down the walls of the buildings. The FD worked for awhile on it with multiple trucks and busted through Horace and Dickey's and Philly- the Palace was
affected as well but not nearly as badly. The empty building between water ice and Palace was gutted. While this was going down the whole block was blocked off and all the storefronts on that side were evacuated. No one was hurt but it took them hours to contain.
And from the comments-
The fire was at 1204 H St the Philadelphia Water Ice and The Kids Boutique & SPA. The shed in the rear caught on fire due to a homeless guy living in the there. Noone was hurt but there was damage to both of the businesses. The owner said she will be close until construction is complete. The building that looks like extensive damage is 1206 which was already like that for years but you could not tell because it had a rolling grate on it.When the Fire men came they had to gain access from 1206 causing them to cut open that rolling grate, leaving it exposed. So there is NO NEW CONSTRUCTION GOING ON!
And a third report-
This morning at 530 a.m. a vacant property behind Horace and Dickies caught on fire at the 12th Street NE and H Street Block. This vacant property was being occupied by a squatter "RAY" who was using some type of heater. The fire was contained and Ray survived without injury.
This could have been very tragic if Ray or others might have been killed or adjacent building caught fire. If you see someone squatting is very important that you call MPD and report the property. Just imagine if multiple houses or buildings caught fire and it was due to a squatter. As foreclosures rise in NE, it is very important that we look out for our neighborhood because you might be saving your own house by reporting a squatter or someone who has illegally occupied a house and using make shift heat during this cold weather.