Sunday, November 01, 2009

Sugar, Something Else to Try

I haven't yet been, but I've recently been hearing interesting things about a newish soul food restaurant just north of the Ivy City line. Sugar (1803 West Virginia Ave), only boasts limited seating. But, I'm told the flavors they turn out are anything but small. I look forward to a taste test soon, but for now I'll leave you with the Yelp reviews. You can also view the menu online. Sugar describes its cuisine as upscale soul food, but a glance at the prices reveals that most entrees are under ten dollars. the menu also includes a smattering of Caribbean food, and a promise that speciality shakes are "coming soon." Check them out for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Despite what the Yelp review says, 1803 West Virginia is definitely NOT in Brookland.  

2 comments:

MJ said...

I've eaten from there once, thought it was pretty good- had the jerked wings and jamaican rice and peas and they were good, better than "Danny's" or Murry's quality wings.

curmudgeon said...

I got food there yesterday. I thought the Jamaican rice and peas were a little bland. The collards were OK, but could use a little more pork in the pot likker. And the rotisserie chicken was juicy, but needed more seasoning. But these comments are just me trying to find ways I think they could improve; I still liked the food very much, and will definitely be back for more.

I hope they're doing some catering business -- their kitchen is huge, and I wouldn't expect a carryout-only business to bring in enough revenue for that much space.