Thursday, January 28, 2010

A New Chocolate Business?

I received an interesting email recently in which the author talked about a new business venture currently based just south of H Street. They are currently offering a few variety of truffles for sale.

Picture 12
My husband and I are starting a local chocolate company here in the H-street area. We offer dark chocolate, vegan dark chocolate and milk chocolate truffles. We hope to soon expand our selection to also include white chocolate, peanut butter and mint truffles, as well as other various chocolates.
We make our truffles with a variety of toppings, including: traditional cocoa, chocolate shavings, hazelnut, and sprinkle coat, and we can make any combination of truffle and topping. Unlike other chocolate companies in the DC area, our truffles are handmade in town and are reasonably priced; we plan to sell our truffles for $1.25 each.
For this Valentine’s Day, we are going to offer our truffles for $1.00 a piece or 6 truffles of any of our available flavors in any combination for $5.00.
Contact us at:
CapitolHillChocolates@gmail.com to place an order!
Please submit all orders by Wednesday, February 10th so we can have them ready for Valentine’s Day.
Thanks,
Capitol Hill Chocolates
cocoa
sprinkle2

17 comments:

NEC said...

Is there a storefront that we can go look at the selection, or even a website??

Anonymous said...

Beats cupcakes!

Anonymous said...

Lawd, why did you post this, gonna loose my boyish figure. LOL

-Robby

Anonymous said...

Actually there is a already an excellent chocolate maker who lives and makes her chocolate on H street. Her name is Jane Morris, AKA J Chocolatier. She use to sell her chocolates at Eastern Market on the weekends, but now has a store in Georgetown,on 33rd st. Her chocolates are also sold at Biaggio in Adams Morgan. These folks have a really high bar to reach.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new business! Where is it located so we can check it out?

Liz said...

Anon 3:15 -- if she sells her stuff in Georgetown, how is that related to H? That's so far for a chocolate fix!

Anonymous said...

Liz,
Jane told me that she would love to sell her chocolate on H but couldn't find an affordable space.

Anonymous said...

Funny,I was in the U street area at a wondeful chocolate/desert resturant. Most all of the items were centered around chocolate ,from food to cook books,classes and novilites.This place had something for everyone that appreciates good chocolate. I said to myself this would be awsome if we had one our corridor. I think this would do well,if done properly. Something a little more up scale than The former Sweets and Treats, across from SOVA.



5TH STREET

Anonymous said...

I apoligize,if I came across a little snuddy "Something a little more up scale" .I want every bussiness to be successful that come into our neighborhood.And yes I patronize all them from Sova,Sidamo,Granville,H Street Martini Lounge,and the corner store.

Tom A. said...

anon 7:44. Anyone who spells it "snuddy" can't be very snooty!

AD said...

Very exciting! They could probably use a new logo....

Anonymous said...

See I told you so....

Jane said...

Jane here from J. Chocolatier. To Anonymous 3:15, thanks for the kind comments. To Liz, I live on the H St. corridor and deliver my chocolates to Hill residents as a favor to those who have supported me in the three years since I started the business. I really wanted to put my store on H St., but unfortuantely all the spaces I looked at were in terrible shape, and the landlords basically wanted me to pay market-rate rent plus gut their buildings for them.

Anonymous said...

Liz,
Have you considered a co-opt store front.

inked said...

Anon 9:37,
Liz is not the business owner.

Anonymous said...

If you love caramel, then J Chocolatier truffles is the way to go.

Anonymous said...

Oh, from the photo I can see this is candy, not high end chocolate made with non-preservative ingredients. There's a difference. I would have to agree this is not the work of artisan chocolatiers who are trained in theory, technique, and presentation. Anyone can start a chocolate business, but not everyone can be good at it.