Friday, June 11, 2010

Opening Morning at Biergarten Haus

For thumbnails (images only, not the full post) check out my flickr stream here.

IMG_6576
I'm here right now taking a look at the scene as is unfolds. The first patrons just sat down and ordered. Everyone seems excited. 2 minutes after the doors opened.

IMG_6579

They've set up a tent out back to make it easier to see the tvs out back. I'm going to go ahead and throw up the other photos.

IMG_6582

IMG_6580

IMG_6589

IMG_6588

IMG_6587

IMG_6586

IMG_6585

IMG_6581

I might be sending some updates via cell phone, so bear with me if the formatting looks different.
9:17am
--------------------
IMG_6590

Talked to a few neighbors. One was checking out the space for the first time, and selecting the perfect seat out back. Another said this was his 4th time in, and his goal is to eventually try every beer on tap.

They're giving away mini-soccer balls out back. Oh, and people are starting to to order breakfast (the menus just arrived).
9:33am
---------

IMG_6593

IMG_6592

IMG_6596

The first customers toast the occasion. Breakfast arrives, as do the biggest sun umbrellas I've ever seen.
9:43am
-----------------

IMG_6599

IMG_6598

IMG_6597

IMG_6602

IMG_6601

IMG_6600

The crowd is really growing now. Great vibe. Sitting next to a man who travels regularly to Germany. He teaches country line dancing, and polka dancing Now he's polka dancing with a friend of mine.
10:25am.
------------
I spent a bit more time chatting outside with friends and watching the game. We saw a couple of small children, and one highchair. I'm headed out, but I think this was a great first morning for these guys. Most of the crowd appeared local (lots of familiar faces), and everyone was in good spirits.
11:10am.

23 comments:

Lilkimbo said...

I love Liberty Tree, but this is definitely the recent H Street opening I'm most excited about! Of course, it had to open on the weekend when I am going to be out of town. I'm sure it will still be amazing next week, though.

Unknown said...

from: the pug

to: the beer garden house

congrats. looks beautiful. really feel like red headed step child now.

Dave B said...

looks extra nice in the morning.

Bill said...

Can't wait!!!! Nice renovation!

Annoyingmous said...

I think this post needed a few more insanely large photos so the front page would take a few more days to load and stories other than the first one would be even harder to find.d

Thumbnails to photos elsewhere?

Anon 11:08 said...

Sorry, that was unnecessarily snarky -- this isn't life or death here. Thanks for the updates.

Anonymous said...

to anon 11:08,

I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to listen to the complaining of FT cry babies (see Anon 11:17) unable to get a table tomorrow for the WC.

Anonymous said...

I hope those are real flowers in the window boxes and not that fake crap.

Anonymous said...

Rant and whine, complain and b*tch, grumble and nitpick..

Can't posters learn to appreciate what we have here... A tasteful bar.

It's Friday. Loosen up.

Anonymous said...

annoyingmous: invest in a faster internet connection or stop complaining. Inked isn't doing this blog for you personally - it's HER blog and she can do whatever she wants. No one tells you that you have to read it. Be appreciative or just keep it to yourself and stop logging in if you can't accept it as it is. This is not a public service, it's an act of love and dedication, and a gift to all of us who check in here every day.

inked said...

11:08,
you can follow the link to my flickr account and view them smaller size there.

But to be fair, the photos here are the normal size. My stuff is loading quickly. I did put separations between the post subparts (with times).

Anonymous said...

"If you didn't close, I'd never leave."--Barney Gumble

Campy said...

Thanks for the photos Inked, the place looks phenomenal.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. H Street is starting to kick more ass than Barack Obama.

Anonymous said...

Joe Englert said:

Aaron and Arturus,

Thanks for coming to H Street. You have done so much hard work and it shows. Biergarten is awesome. Here is a toast to good neighbors and businessmen. Much success brothers! You guys deserve a lot of praise.

inked said...

I'll second Joe Englert,
the Biergarten looks AMAZING. I saw a mostly local crowd in there today. I can understand wanting to allow people to reserve the seats for the first couple of games opening weekend.

For those who haven't been yet, there is still a tremendous amount of space to sit/stand aside from the reserved tables. The attention to detail here really raises the bar. I can't wait to try something off the regular menu, rather than just breakfast.

This place is sure to be a big hit with locals, and visitors.

Anonymous said...

I am not a beer person. However this is a nice spot that took a lot of time,effort and money. Welcome and thanks for being part of the community.

5th street

Sean Hennessey said...

wow. this place looks fantastic! and yes to more outside seating on h!

so said...

Had a great afternoon. I was prepared for some rough edges on the first day but the staff was fantastic, the breakfast (at 1:30!) was good, the space was amazing, and beer list well chosen. Congratulations on the GroSS Eroffnung - Willkommen!

charles said...

I stopped by after work for a mug.

This place is in my opinion the most significant yet on H Street.

I'm not saying the best, or even my personal favorite, but most likely to change the dynamics of the street. This place will be huge.

I'm not a big soccer fan but I can't wait for college football in fall at the Biergarten.

Annoyingmous said...

Anon 12:00 and Anon 12:32 -- right, I agree. That's why I apologized *in the very next post*.

tonysmallframe said...

It's kind of fucked up that they have portajohns in the alley for their patrons to use - people live right off the alley, myself being one of them. Are those going to be permanent, or will people just get used to them and then go back to pissing on cars, garages, houses, etc.?I would think that part of operating and running a successful business is making sure that the infrastructure inside the business is robust enough to handle the crowds.

Unknown said...

The Jiffy Johns are a very short term solution. We should have our Mega-Bathrooms up and in a week. We also have ordered a trash can double the size and will keep that back area as clean as possible. Sorry for the opening weekend issues. But they will be resolved