Friday, July 30, 2010

PSA: Call the Police if You See Kids Throwing Rocks

This disturbing email went out on the 5-D listserv (but this kind of thing happens all over DC, and seem to be talked about the most in Columbia Heights):

I just want to let the listserv know that my neighbor on Hanover was walking home from the McDonalds at 1st and NY NE at around 4pm a few days ago and a 10-11 year old male kid threw a rock at her and almost put her eye out. The doctor said she may not regain her sight in that eye.


Evidently the McDonalds employee's had already chastised this kid a few times for throwing rocks around there. I know this is across the border in 6D but a lot of us go back and forth through that corridor.


I dont know if the police have found the kid yet, but I sure hope they do.


Just a heads up for everyone to watch out.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

anyone remember the stoning deaths of animals a while back?? maybe same kid / or a loose association.

that is really sad. i hope she regains eyesight.

Derek said...

anon 3:45: I was thinking the same thing.

Anonymous said...

i've had kids throw rocks at me while i was jogging, they lobbed them over a corner fence after they saw me turn the corner, seems to be a favorite pastime for some of them, a very dangerous and harmful one, the targets are usually responsible grown-ups for some reason

Sean Hennessey said...

i also hope she regains her eyesight. thats very frightening.
i've had rocks thrown at me a few times while walking past tyler house at north capitol and new york only a block from this incident.

Anonymous said...

Its illegal to throw rocks.

Anonymous said...

Reports also of rocks thrown by youths at cyclist and pedestrians on the Metropolitan Branch Trail

Anonymous said...

Some kids on our block threw a rock and hit my GF in the face last summer. When she got home and told me the the story,I went over and confronted them, (non-threateningly) and was applauded by their parents who were sitting right there. They claimed it was "other kids" who had taken off moments earlier. The parents told me I was doing the right thing by telling the kids off. The kids didn't like it one bit (there were girls there and it was clearly a loss of face to have a skinny white boy telling them to act like real men and not throw rocks at a lady). I wasn't impressed with the parents. If I caught my kid throwing rocks, oh man, there'd be hell to pay.

Anyway, I think it's something these kids think is sorta a prank, but don't realize (or care) that they could really mess someone up.

I hope this lady is ok in the long run. What a horrible episode. We sure were shaken by our little run in and there was no serious injury.

Frustrated said...

Just spotted four young black males (three average height and thin-build, one taller and thicker) throwing rocks or something hard at passing cars on Maryland Ave NE and 9th Street NE. They threw one at a taxi travelling NE and I heard a huge "thunk" then they ran.

I know its summer, but there isn't anything less destructive to do for fun around here?

oboe said...

Man, growing up in the early 80s we didn't do this kind of stuff. Know why? 'Cause we knew any adult who caught us doing it would've beat the holy shit out of us.

Ah, heady days!