Sunday, August 08, 2010

CHotR: Know Your Neighborhoods

Picture 4
For the record, Trinidad is bounded by Florida Ave on the south, Mt. Olivet Road on the north, West Virginia Ave on the west, and Bladensburg Road on the east.

The blog Congress Heights on the Rise has a thought provoking post on neighborhood identity. She links to a featured property on Prince of Petworth that is identified as being located in Congress Heights. I imagine (as does Congress Heights on the Rise) that the property self-identified (i.e. the owner named the location) as Congress Heights, and that tag didn't come from Prince of Petworth. Where I see relevance to us is in the mistaken identity thing, and the ignorant comments from people who don't actually know the neighborhood in question. This is a major issue. A while back the District Curmudgeon pointed out a mistake by the Post (this honestly happens all the time with local media outlets) where they oddly sort of lumped together certain neighborhoods in SE as all one neighborhood. The burden (at least in my mind) is greater on official/print/television paid media (like the Washington Post) than on bloggers to be absolutely correct in reporting. I try to always be correct, but sometimes I either make a mistake, or trust more traditional media when it turns out to be wrong. As, what the District and others have called, an emerging neighborhood, Trinidad confronts the same issues. So does the H Street Corridor, which many are beginning to understand is NOT ACTUALLY IN TRINIDAD, and is also NOT IN CAPITOL HILL.  We're (Trinidad and Capitol Hill) just next to it. My other favorite correction is that Kingman Park, Ivy City, and Carver Terrace/Carver-Langston are not actually located in Trinidad. That, and despite what your realtor may have told you, Capitol Hill North does not actually stretch up to New York Avenue. Thoughts?

++++++++++++++++++++++
UPDATE: 3:27pm Sunday
++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey, I wanted to note that I don't know Congress Heights, or Washington Highlands, well, but I now plan to check them out again soon because I really like under appreciated neighborhoods. My interest is as stated above. I don't support lumping all of NE together, and I feel the same way about SE.

1 comment:

Mike Thomas said...

I am writing to ask for your permission to include your posts on
DCguide.com and include a link to your blog in our directory. We would
include a link back to your blog fully crediting you for your work
along with a profile about you listed on DCguide.com . Please let us
know as soon as possible.

Mike@dcguide.com

Mike Thomas
Editor-in-Chief
DCguide.com