Thursday, September 23, 2010

Candidate Statement: Tina Laskaris ANC 5B08

Earlier I offered to post candidate statements from local (Trinidad, Rosedale, Near Northeast, the northern portion of Capitol Hill, Carver-Langston, Ivy City, ect.) ANC candidates, and local candidates for the Board of Education. This statement is posted pursuant to that. It does not constitute an endorsement, unless otherwise specified. Here you go:

Hello, my name is Tina Laskaris. I have been your Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner (ANC) for Single Member District (SMD) 5B08 for the last two years. I am running for re-election and need your vote to continue representing you.

First, let me tell you a little about myself. I am a homeowner who bought my house in Trinidad in 2001 because of the neighborhood's affordability, its central location and its small town “feel.” From the beginning, I saw the potential for our neighborhood to become one of the best places to live in our nation's capital.

Professionally, I am a process analyst in the healthcare field. In this position, I study the way a process performs and look for ways it can be more productive and efficient. A big part of my job is listening and understanding what people want and need. I approach my job as your ANC Commissioner with the same objective.

Like you, I want to live in a safe and clean neighborhood. In the last two years, these were my top priorities. By understanding what our neighborhood needs and developing positive working relationships with D.C. government agencies, I’ve gotten results.

I've worked closely with MPD 5D developing strategies to ensure public safety and have worked hard to reduce crime in our neighborhood. I've been recognized by the Citizen's Advisory Council the past two years : awarded the Commander's Award in 2008 and the Civilian of the Year award in 2009.

I've worked to keep our streets and alleys clean, to ensure dumping is addressed quickly, and that vacant properties are monitored and any problems they cause are addressed.

I've worked on organizing neighborhood clean-up events, family night events at Joseph Cole and the annual fundraiser for the after school program at Wheatley Education Campus. I've partnered with Serve DC, the Trinidad Neighborhood Association and Greater DC Cares to bring volunteers and events to Trinidad.

I've listened to community concerns and worked relentlessly to find solutions and improve our quality of life.

I have gotten numerous speed humps installed, gotten non-rush hour parking along Florida Ave., and ensured adequate and proper signage and traffic lights are installed in our community.

I played an instrumental role in getting a new Joseph Cole Community Center built – ensuring the commitment the old one would not be torn down until the new one was open.

I worked to attract and support new business efforts in the neighborhood such as the Capital City Diner, Conner Contemporary Art, and G Fine Art, with more anticipated in the future.

I have worked collaboratively with existing businesses, negotiating a new Voluntary Agreement with all establishments in 5B08, as well as working with ABRA to ensure enforcement of those agreements.

Going forward I plan to continue our efforts as a community to keep Trinidad the wonderful tree-lined diverse community it's always been. I'll continue to listen to your issues and concerns and carry the desires of the community forward to the best of my ability. I will continue working to improve Bladensburg Rd to attract businesses that provide goods and services to the neighborhood that we need and deserve.

Ward 5 Council member Harry Thomas Jr. and Elise Bernard of the Frozen Tropics blog endorse me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Tina!

Anonymous said...

I like Tina. She gets shit done.