Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Monica Warren Jones: Ward 6 Candidate for Board of Ed.

IMG_1487

I've mentioned before that I'm happy to post statements from local ANC candidates. I am also willing to, as I have done in the past, post a brief statement for local candidates for  the DC State Board of Education. Here is a just such a statement:

Dear Neighbors,

My name is Monica Warren-Jones and I am a candidate for the Ward 6 seat on the DC State Board of Education. I have lived in Ward 6 since 1997, and my husband and I are the parents of two children attending public schools in Ward 6. I have decided to run for the State Board of Education because I want to work to ensure that the reforms underway today continue and that all District families have high quality public and charter school options.

DC Public Schools are at a critical moment. Average scores on the District’s end-of-year exams have grown significantly since 1997, and more parents are choosing to use schools in our ward. I have observed these changes first hand as my children, now ages 11 and 6, have both attended Peabody Early Childhood Center in Capitol Hill. In 2003, I did not have to sit on a wait list to get my oldest child into Peabody’s pre-kindergarten program. However, in 2007 when I was seeking options for my youngest child, over 70 families applied for 15 slots in Peabody’s pilot program for 3 year old children. In 2010, nearly 400 families applied for 30 3 year-old slots. Clearly, the demand for quality public educational options is on the rise.

I believe that DC’s traditional public schools and public charter schools can provide strong choices for all families seeking to educate their children. Our schools are community assets, and the value of these assets can be maximized through engaged parent involvement, strong teachers and school leaders, and rigorous curriculum standards. As a Ward 6 Board Member, I would work to ensure that high educational standards are implemented, advocate for the most effective teachers and principals for our schools, and push for equity in resource allocation for all public and charter schools. I want to achieve these changes by working collaboratively with all stakeholders interested in the success of the District’s children.

I enter this race as a candidate with a long-term commitment to this city and Ward 6. As an affordable housing professional, I have worked with city legislators, government agencies, non-profit and for-profit sectors to provide financing and policy solutions that improve the lives of families in the District. I have also served as a parent volunteer, most recently as a co-treasurer for the Capitol Hill Cluster PTA. My professional background and volunteer experiences have provided me with a unique perspective on the needs of schools and neighborhoods in Ward 6.

I have earned the support of a cross-section of parents, school leaders, and elected officials. One of my endorsements includes that of the incumbent Ward 6 Board member, Lisa Raymond, who has worked tirelessly towards the goal of improving our schools.

"Monica Warren-Jones is my choice for the DC State Board of Education for Ward 6. Monica is a highly talented, dedicated citizen and involved DCPS parent. She will fight for high quality schools for every child in Ward 6 and in our entire city; she understands the role of the State Board like no other candidate and is ready to leverage it for the good of all students. She will be an advocate for our students, our parents, and our entire community. As the person who has served in this role for the past four years, I know what is required to do this work and I know that Monica is the best choice for Ward 6." – Lisa Raymond, Ward 6 Representative, District of Columbia State Board of Education

I encourage you to view my website (www.monicawarrenjones.org) to learn more about me or contact me at contact@monicawarrenjones.org to share your ideas and concerns about our schools.

I welcome your support of my candidacy and I would appreciate your vote on November 2.

Sincerely,

Monica Warren-Jones

No comments: