Monday, September 13, 2010

Please Vote Tomorrow, and on General Election Day

DC is a funny animal in that are primaries pretty much decide the game for major local elections. So while I know that some might be tempted to vote in the primary and skip out on the general election (I did it once myself when I first rolled into town and got busy at work), but it's really important to vote in the general election, not just for the big seats, but also for smaller stuff like ANC candidates. Unpaid, and as mixed in quality as they may be in our fair city, are the most direct line between the people and the District government. So they can help you out when DCRA just isn't responding to that persistent problem of people squatting in the vacant house next door, or the crappy developer down the street digging an illegal massive car sized pit in the alley.

I'm spending tonight reviewing endorsements and news articles to make sure that I vote the best way I can in the mayoral primary.

For those who care, here are my endorsements for Councilmembers for Wards 5 and 6:

Ward 5: Harry Thomas. Some people have expressed surprise that I'm supporting Harry Thomas because we have butted heads before, most notably on the New Town/Capital City Market/Florida Market issue.  But the fact is that, while I don't think he's been a perfect Councilmember, he's actually done a good job. Over in Trinidad we've got a renovated Trinidad Rec, a renovated Wheatley Education Campus, and a new Joe Cole Community Center. While the projects were in the pipeline, I can personally attest (at least in the case of the Joe Cole Community Center) that the Councilmember was instrumental in speeding up the process, and correcting some proposed mis-steps. I can also say that Mayor Fenty (and I personally saw this) sought to block Harry Thomas' moves on some fronts. If you don't believe me look up the recent interview in which Mary Cheh  says the same thing about the way Fenty treated her.

I recently attended a blogger breakfast with Councilmember Thomas (held at the Capital City Diner prior to the Kathy Henderson sign stealing fiasco), and I was able to talk to him a bit about issues important to our area. One major issue I've had is that I think we don't cross political borders enough to address issues (again, this came up with the Market project), but I think he's honestly learned to play well with others. The proof is in the pudding, and the pudding in this case is the re-routing of the H Street Shuttle. The Shuttle, which serves Wards 5, 6, and 7, as it passes along H Street now takes a detour to bring visitors up to Bladensburg Road businesses such as the Capital City Diner, Sullivan's Southern Style Seafood, and Jimmy Valentine's. In order for this to happen, Harry Thomas' office had to reach out to various people, including the office of Tommy Wells (Ward 6). I think that this is a really positive sign of things to come. We have the unique ability to capitalize on the development on H Street.  It would be a huge lost opportunity if we had a Councilmember who didn't capitalize on that.

The Washington Post endorsed Delano Hunter, which came as a bit of a shock to me.  First, I don't think Delano Hunter really has the experience to lead Ward 5.  While many accuse Harry Thomas of the same offense, I think he has really matured during his time in office.  Second, Delano Hunter's campaign has been largely financed by the National Organization for Marriage ("NOM"). That's interesting because he's got Twitter people tweeting happily away about how he did pro-gay stuff while he worked at Nike. So I'm kind of left wondering if he's just up for the highest bidder.

One key reason to support Harry Thomas is that Harry took a strong stand on the marriage equality issue. True, first he kind of seemed to waiver a bit, issuing some conflicting statements, but he ultimately came through. And, make no mistake, he actually took on the greatest risk of any Councilmember in supporting gay rights on this issue. Ward 5 is a very diverse mix of residents, and marriage equality wasn't as easy of a sell as in Ward 6, or some other Wards in DC. Harry Thomas took a big political leap to do the right thing. I'm sure it wasn't an easy choice.

The City Paper, and Greater Greater Washington, have both endorsed Kenyon McDuffie. I like Mr. McDuffie a great deal, but I don't think he has the votes to bring it home.  I hope to see more of him in DC's political future, but I fear that his unintended role in this election is as a spoiler candidate.

So, I'll be voting for Harry Thomas tomorrow.

Ward 6: Tommy Wells. No surprise there. I've like most of what Wells has done. Before he was elected last time around a lot of detractors said that he'd ignore H Street. Well, he hasn't. Conversely, he's been there every step of the way. He's been a terrific Councilmember, and (as the Post noted) he deserves to be re-elected.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy Wells has assisted me with multiple issues over the past 3 years. He has always taken on the issues and provided the support until the issue was resolved.

I see him riding his bicycle all over town and has done so much to improve this area in the short time I have lived here. In person he is a fantastic man.

I concur with your endorsement and now am confident I am voting for the correct candidate, not that I really had a doubt.

And thanks for trying to get people out to vote for ANC also.

Thanks inked
Lawrence "Russ" Russell

Anonymous said...

Will Fenty join the Republican ballot if he gets enough write-ins?

Anonymous said...

STOP THE STREETCAR!!!

VOTE GRAY - BARRY !!!

jamie said...

Elise, given the importance of the H Street Streetcar, I'm somewhat surprised that you'd even consider voting for Gray.

inked said...

Jamie,
I don't believe that Gray would actually kill the streetcar. I think that was either a staffer act (odd as that may seem), or some political move (possibly testing the waters). Either way, at this point I think we're a green light on streetcars. That whole incident was pretty weird, and doesn't make much sense as a serious move considering Gray's demonstrated interest in streetcars in cities like Portland.

Now if we were to lose Tommy Wells, well then I'd worry more about the H Street line.

I REALLY like some things Fenty has done, but I'm really troubled by his relationship with the councilmembers. He really does just seem like a jerk, and that gets in the way of the city running smoothly. Plus, transparency is a joke, and he does seem to toss contracts to his friends.

Gray, on the other hand, looks to me like an excellent Council Chair, and appears to have a very positive relationship with other councilmembers.

I think it's a really tough call.

oboe said...

Ward 6: Tommy Wells. No surprise there. I've like most of what Wells has done. Before he was elected last time around a lot of detractors said that he'd ignore H Street. Well, he hasn't. Conversely, he's been there every step of the way. He's been a terrific Councilmember, and (as the Post noted) he deserves to be re-elected.

Not that it's going to sway any votes, but I second this. Wells has been *incredibly* responsive on the day-to-day issues as well. Inked talked about the importance of one's ANC in getting a response from DCRA, and such, but I usually send an email to Wells, and get a response back--often with contact info--within a day.

Not to oversell it, but I'm grateful (and a little surprised) we've got someone that responsive and effective representing us.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the day when Elise is on the ballot...can't think of a better person for ANC, and, eventually, maybe mayor??

Inked in 2012!

tonysmallframe said...

But, if you are registered independent/Statehood Green or Republican, there really isn't any point in going to the polls today, right? And by the time the primaries come around, the main race will already be decided. The downfall of a two party system, I suppose.

oboe said...

But, if you are registered independent/Statehood Green or Republican, there really isn't any point in going to the polls today, right? And by the time the primaries come around, the main race will already be decided. The downfall of a two party system, I suppose.

Well, actually, there's some talk that if Fenty loses the Democratic primary, he might capture the Republican nomination forcing a Gray (D) Fenty (R) face-off in November.

DC could end up with a half-white Republican mayor, OMFGZ!!11!

City in a Trough said...

I thought Fenty "missed the deadline" to turn in signatures to run as an independent or a write-in. Seeing as the Republican Party in DC seems to have no interest in even trying to run a Mayoral candidate - I don't see any real chance of Fenty becoming a de facto (R).

It's funny that there has to be a reminder for people to "also" vote in the general election. I moved to this city knowing full well the political situation here, it sickens me nonetheless. We have a political machine on par with the worst aspects of Tammany Hall to the point where the party primary in essence BECOMES the general election. Unless you sacrifice political independence and get registered as a Democrat, you might as well not even bother participating in local politics - unless you don't mind others making decisions for you.

Anonymous said...

City in a Trough said..

VA is right across the river!!

IBC said...

We have a political machine on par with the worst aspects of Tammany Hall to the point where...

Blah di bliggity blah.

The structure of elections in DC is no different than in any other jurisdiction in the country. I lived for a brief period in southwest Georgia, and you didn't hear me pissing and moaning or writing purple monographs about how the Age of Boss Tweed has returned because the Republican primary got to decide who'd win the general election.

You live in a deeply blue municipality, so move or stop your crying.

"Sacrifice your political independence," indeed! Snort.

Rob said...

In my dealings w/ CM Thomas, I never really clicked with him, but I always got the feeling that the guy was working tirelessly in the interest of the residents of the Ward (w/ the exception of that Market flap). He's close to the people. If I was registered Dem, I would vote for him, too.

Mad Man said...

The city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm strikes again.

I voted this morning at 1400 Florida Ave, Delta Towers, at 0715 this morning. What a cluster! A couple poll workers didn't show up so it was painfully slow. No alternates? No back up plan? What incompetence by the DC board of elections. Poll workers were nice but terrible at their jobs. Why citizens here put up with subpar education, crime rates, and basic services is beyond incredible?

Calling all real professional project managers. The city government desperately needs your time and energy to steer this ship (whether it is the DMV,education, crime fighting, snow removal, or elections).

chuck said...

@ibc - I wonder how many people currently registered as Democrat would still be registered as Democrat if all voters could vote in the primaries?

And, if the percentages evened out a little bit (with more Green, Republican, and Independents in the mix), would this improve our chances at statehood?

Anonymous said...

A Gray supporter was on channel 9 news tonight saying how he disliked Fenty driving folks out of the city. He said just look at H Street restaurants now...nobody can afford to eat there.

God I hope Gray doesn't listen to all his consituants and board up H street; refuse to fire inept city workers; and start giving "jobs" to unqualified people because they don't have any. Where is this city headed?

Anonymous said...

anonymous 8:13:00 _ All this site is concerned about is whether one grown man can touch another grown mans anus wit his penis, and if both grown men consent to marry, it is marriage. Crime? Prosperity? NO. Anus. Yes

Rob said...

I hate to hear that Gray is saying such populist us vs. the "newcomers" type statements.
Didn't the Ohio restaurant have decent prices? Were the old time residents flocking there to eat?