Thursday, September 02, 2010

WP: Endorses Delano Hunter

I was more than a little caught off guard by the Washington Post's decision to endorse Delano Hunter for Ward 5. A while back the Post ran a profile story on Harry Thomas, which I mentioned at the time seemed a bit odd (the story, not the fact that they ran it)fgfg.  From the story I expected the Post to endorse Harry Thomas, but with reservations. Instead the Post slammed Thomas, saying that "[w]ith the notable exception of the courage he showed in voting for marriage equality, Mr. Thomas has been a major disappointment. He pretty much defined his role as trying to stop anything -- no matter how sensible -- sought by the mayor."

While it's true that Thomas and Fenty have bumped heads, it's not exactly a one sided conflict. Fenty has actively tried to trip up the Ward 5 Councilmember, and thwart his efforts. On the other hand, Thomas has a very healthy relationship with Vincent Gray. Thomas has been leading in the polls. I'm not sure what kind of impact to expect from this endorsement.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Washington Post also commented on the Ward 6 race, "Mr. Wells is being challenged by Kelvin Robinson, former chief of staff to Mayor Anthony A. Williams. Mr. Robinson's experience in the government and as a small-business owner would be a valuable addition
to the council."

While I wish they had endorsed Robinson, it's obvious they believe he has the background and knowledge to be a Council member.

IMGoph said...

i've seen it said elsewhere, but it's odd that the post praises thomas for his stance on SSM, then goes and endorses the guy who is funded by a group opposing it.

DCJaded said...

Frankly Inked, I'm surprised you have been so supportive of Harry Thomas. If I remember correctly, you didnt like him back when all the Florida Market meetings and dealings were taking place. Frankly, other than voting for Marriage Equality, I dont see much greatness there. Admittadly, he's better than Delano, who is funded by homophobic religious fundamentalists.

Anonymous said...

One presumes that the Post takes more in to account than a single issue. The Post is backing Fenty and if they think Thomas is anti-Fenty then he is holding the city back. Nevertheless, I was surprised it was Delano, his mailings only focus on denying civil rights and homophobia.

inked said...

DCjaded,
I have not infrequently disagreed with Harry Thomas, but I like him better than Delano Hunter. I have never met Delano Hunter, but I not convinced that he's qualified to be a Councilmember. What little I do know about him through friends who have dealt with him directly is not at all good.

And, like I said, Fenty has actively snubbed Thomas and tried to block him. Mary Cheh was just on TBD this morning saying Fenty has done the same thing to her.

I'll be voting for Harry Thomas, not Delano Hunter. Thomas isn't perfect, but I think he's a much better choice for Ward 5.

I like Kenyan McDuffie, but I don't think he has the votes to pull it off.

Anonymous said...

Why do our Councilmembers think that they are little princes and princesses that must be kowtowed to? Oh boohoo, he didn't call me. They have a extremely well paid part time job to write laws and oversee the execution of those laws. Other jurisdictions do not seem to have such primadonnas that govern their city, county or state. Damn, there's so much drama, it like having a dozen Sarah Palins.

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to have a few Sarah Palins in DC.
When she was head of the Alaska Ethics Commission, she put people in jail and forced resignations, others to pay big fines. She even got the head of the Alaska GOP.
We could use some house-cleaning in DC. Get rid of some crooks.

No Justice No Peace said...

I have substantive disagreements with councilman Thomas. Recent reports of involvement with developers of the MacMillan Reservoir project and other reported stories regarding his wife employer demonstrate questionable conduct. But Delano Hunter is not qualified to be on the city council. He has one of the weakest resumes I have seen. This endorsement is an insult to the residence of Ward 5.