A look at what's going on in Trinidad, on H Street, and in the larger area north of Capitol Hill.
Inked, please get this word out to the readers regarding Khans BBQ that just opened. While I was there, I ordered beef and the person next to me ordered chicken..they took the metal whatevers and chopped up my beef, then took those same ones and chopped up the raw chicken.. OMG, cross contamination of food..you never touch anything with anything after you touch raw chicken. Also, I saw them chop beef, then shrimp, then back to beef. If anyone had a shellfish allergy, then wamo they will get sick. This is important for people to watech their food being made and not let this happen.
@foodieWouldn't it be more effective to "get this word out" to Khans BBQ? Did you talk to them about it when you were there? Did you follow up with a call or email?
Hey foodie, rather than "getting the word out" on a local blog, why not talk to the management directly and then report on what they say? I mean, I can see asking Inked to do this if the management brushes you off or kicks you out or whatever, but this whole "have a problem, say nothing, tattle all over Yelp/The Blogosphere" has got to stop.
Isn't all this meat being chopped up on the grill being cooked at the same time killing any bacteria concerns? This seems like a non-issue that I agree should have been taken up with the manager. Foodie, how do you eat out in a closed kitchen where you can't even see what's going on?
The intermixing of chicken and beef isnt a problem. Both have harmful bacteria. Maybe mixing in shellfish is a problem.It looks like there is lots of raw stuff touching cooked stuff going on, but it can't be that bad. I'm sure this goes on in every restaurant whose kitchen you can't see. There is probably enough heat on the meat itself and in the general area of the grill that the metal meat swords are hot enough that bacteria is killed on contact in the same way the the pan kills the bacteria.Long story short, I'm kind of a germaphobe and take many more precautions at home than Khan's does with their meat. Seeing as I hardly ever get sick at a restaurant, I probably overdo it at home. I'm stating to think salmonella is overhyped. My mom would never let my family have sunnyside up eggs and my GF has been making me pan seared eggs for years without incident. The people at Eastern Market don't seem concerned with salmonella. My credit card sometimes comes back with pieces of chicken on it.Think of how many times you have eaten food and never gotten sick. I'm sure there have been plenty of mistakes made in food handling and you've turned out fine.Just close your eyes and let it go.
I get the shellfish issue. This is similar to the vegetarian concern that they use the same grill/swords to handle vegetarian dishes as they use for the meat dishes. But they are new and working things out and need this feedback directly, rather than reported on blogs.I think it's a great place that will only get better. The managers all seem genuinely concerned with ensuring everybody is happy.
On topic: I'm surprised to learn that HR-57's move to H was largely fueled by neighborhood demographics- that the owner wanted to be in a neighborhood that was more "mixed" than the old location. I don't really have an issue with that, but it is interesting. I do hope that shows there have a good mix of people from around the neighborhood, new and old.
I did talk to them about this when I was there and they said that I should have told them in advance that I didn't want my beef swords touching raw chicken, then back to my meat. This is one of the first things that is learned in any food safety course. And it shouldn't be up to me to talk to them about this as this lesson should be learned when they earn their food license. This is a cross contamination of the worst kind. Raw poultry contains crap that shouldn't be touching either the beef or the shrimp. granted, we cannot see kitchen in various places...but I have become ill in one place and will never step foot in there again. It wasn't any of the new places on H St. What about the folks that choose tofu and the swords touch their tofu, then chicken, then beef, then the shellfish..Different swords should be used for each different meat.
I thought the Post story was racist.
Anonymous said:Inked, can you get the word out that the world is fraught with danger? Cars are running red lights, meteors hit the earth every hundred years or so, jaguars escape from zoos, steps can be tripped upon, you can scald your mouth on hot coffee. I for one will not be going outside today in fear of everything...........
The Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (Mad Cow)causing protein does not get neutralized even with heat. I doubt they use grass fed, natural beef.
The chicken touching beef has the same problem of chicken touching chicken, so there really is no more risk. Its not a big deal to mix chicken and beef. Neither one you want to eat raw. The chicken might need to be cooked more thoroughly inside, but that has no bearing on the surface of the beef.The chicken contaminates the beef and itself with salmonella and the beef contamintates the chicken and itself with E Coli or something. Once the surface of the meat is cooked and the swords are hot enough (i'm going to guess they are), it doesnt matter, unless you dont want cross touching for religious or other purposes.Its not like they are chopping up meat and then cutting salad with the same knife
Wow, that Post article is ALL about race. I'm surprised.
Food inspector might have point which is completely the opposite of the original post. The OP didnt want chicken touching beef. The inspector doesnt want beef touching chicken.If you eat meat you are taking your life into your hands regardless of whether you mix meat. We can probably all agree on that."Get your dirty Khan's BBQ swords off my chicken"
I worked in a kitchen, and guess what people: this happens ALL the time! When a hamburger is being cooked, and an order for a new hamburger (or chicken, shrimp, whatever)comes in, do you think the person at the grill uses a new spatula? Really? In every kitchen across the world, chefs are using the same equipment for everything on the grill. As an earlier poster stated, it only matters to keep raw veggies away, or anything else that won't be cooked.
reminds of the time the cook accidentally got chocolate in my peanut butter?
hey, that's not bad...
I'm pleased @foodie has offered to give us a window into the world of eating disorders.MA! The peas are touching my mashed potatoes!!!!
Post a Comment