Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Little Langston Terrace History

The Guardians

I thought people might be interested in this brief bit of history on the Langston Terrace Dwellings from the Paul R. Williams Project. I wrote a paper that involved researching the Dwellings in maybe 2006. There's some interesting info out there. Here are some other good things to read on the topic:

DC Preservation League -Most Endangered Places

Kelly Anne Quinn's dissertation - MAKING MODERN HOMES: A HISTORY OF
LANGSTON TERRACE DWELLINGS, A NEW
DEAL HOUSING PROGRAM IN WASHINGTON,
D.C
(PDF)

Cultural Tourism DC -LANGSTON TERRACE DWELLINGS/HILYARD ROBINSON, AFRICAN AMERICAN HERITAGE TRAIL

There have also been a couple of documentaries made about the Dwellings. You can see some of my photos of the Dwellings on Flickr (they aren't all tagged, for some reason).

IMG_4211_2

8 comments:

poo poo said...

that place makes the deathstar seem warm and welcoming.

i'd rail on that place even more, but i try not to knock on the uneducated and unemployed.

kq said...

Thanks Frozen Tropics for this wonderful image of the young men posing around the concrete horses. They follow the generations of children and teens who called Langston home and played in that courtyard.

Thanks too for mentioning my dissertation research. I welcome the chance to chat with others who are drawn to Langston and its legacy. It has been home to thousands of African American men women and children, people who led lives of quiet dignity. I have benefited from the welcoming warmth of residents who live(d) on-site. And, I very much miss the young people I used to visit and hang out with.

-Kelly Quinn

Anonymous said...

cool history, though getting harassed every time I walk by this place...not so cool

Anonymous said...

*scary*

*drives/walks several blocks out of her way to avoid...*

Anonymous said...

Eh, 21st St side of Langston Dwellings is nothing compared to the thugs who hang out on 19th St in front of the Food 7 and liquor store. I'd walk by this place any day of the week to avoid 19th St....

Anonymous said...

I am a teacher in Richardson, Tx. I am writing a test with one of the pieces an excerpt from Eloise Greenfield's memoir on Langston Terrace. Can I use two of these pictures as part of the test?

inked said...

3:04,
Feel free to use them, or any of my other pictures of Langston Terrace. More pics of Langston Terrace here. The school in two of the photos is Charles Young, which is right next to Langston Terrace.

Anonymous said...

Apparently you haven't met many of the people that stay here. Doctors, lawyers and entrepreneurs came from here. So many are educated and well mannered. They look out for the welfare of others.