Image from Wikipedia
Here's additional links to info on the proposed closure of Spingarn (and 19 other DCPS schools):
Washington Post: Twenty D.C. Schools Targeted For Closure
- Current Spingarn students would move to Eastern, Dunbar, or Woodson.
- Current Spingarn STAY students would move to Ballou STAY, or Roosevelt STAY.
- DCPS plans to renovate Spingarn, eventually turning it into a career and technical education center
- "DCPS now enrolls about 45,000 students in 117 buildings; Fairfax County, meanwhile, has about four times as many students in 196 schools."
Washington Examiner: School at Site of Proposed D.C. Streetcar Trolley Barn to Close
- This makes the car barn, which was already a pretty sure thing, even more of a sure thing.
- Spingarn could be closed for a few years.
- A streetcar training facility is still coming to the site.
- "The city is moving ahead with the planned training facility and could partner with other local schools, including the University of the District of Columbia for an adult-education program."
- As expected, the historic landmark application is not impacted by the closing, as the application is tied to the site, not the use.
Washington City Paper: How Would a Spingarn HS Closure Affect the Streetcar Barn on the Site?
- Carbarn still will have a training facility.
- DDOT will still work with DCPS & UDC.
- School closure has no impact on application for landmark status.
Greater Greater Washington: DCPS Closing 20 Schools, Including Spingarn