Screenshot of a video by Edward Milton
- Bank Account Access: Not on the agenda, but previously discussed and likely to come up again. The DC Auditor recommends that all Advisory Neighborhood Commission Officers (Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, and Parliamentarian) be authorized signatories on the account. Currently only Chair Kathy Henderson and Treasurer Keisha can sign checks (all checks require TWO signatures). Henderson wants to keep it this way and has refused to sign papers granting the ability for other ANC Officers to become authorized signatories. The reason the Auditor recommends that all Officers become authorized signatories is to prevent gridlock. In a case where the ANC has approved an expenditure, but for whatever reason, one signatory refuses to sign off you have a serious problem if you only have two authorized signatories. I would say that given the history of ANC 5D, a disagreement between the Chair and the Treasurer, or between the Chair and any or all of the Officers is quite likely. Because Chair Henderson has repeatedly refused to sign the papers, the other Commissioners have forwarded the appropriate papers on to the DC Auditor without Henderson's signature.
- The Recall Efforts: To my knowledge, there are currently efforts underway to recall four Advisory Neighborhood Commissioners across the District. Three of those Commissioners are on ANC 5D. They also happen to be the three Commissioners who have most strongly opposed certain of Chair Henderson's actions. Those Commissioners are Yvonne Buggs, Adam Roberts, and Keisha Shropshire. I've read two of the three recall petitions for ANC 5D and I am told that the third is very similar to the first two. In my opinion, the allegations contained in those petitions are either largely or entirely baseless. I've been told that Kathy and India Henderson have been out collecting signatures in support of recall efforts. I strongly suspect that these recall efforts are politically motivated payback for opposing Kathy Henderson. Bottom line with these efforts:
- These efforts are intended to embarrass and undermine the public authority/credibility of these Commissioners, who I think have been generally doing a great job. These Commissioners have all held regular Single Member District meetings, attended training, and spent hours of their own time (unpaid) working to make our community better.
- These efforts are intended to distract these Commissioners. Recalls are stressful for incumbents who find themselves forced to defend themselves and run campaigns while they should be focusing their attentions on their very full plates of ANC duties.
- These efforts, should the organizers succeed in gaining enough signatures, are expensive. The Board of Elections has to verify signatures and if there are enough (10% of properly registers voters in an SMD) the Board has to call and hold a a formal special election. Not cheap folks.
Please go to tonight's ANC 5D meeting. 7-8:30pm at the 5th District Police Station. 1805 Bladensburg Road. Here's the agenda.