The streetcar celebrated one year of service yesterday, and they're throwing a party to mark the occasion. They'll have free appetizers, cupcakes, and streetcar give aways at Ben's Upstairs (2nd floor of 1001 H St.) on Saturday (2 p.m. to 5 p.m.). The streetcar team has crunched the numbers on that first year and come up with some interesting stats:
- Average daily ridership of 2,721
- 906,000 total riders (enough to fill RFK 20 times)
- 101,000 miles of service (enough distance to circle the planet more than 4 times)
- The most popular time to ride is between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- 6,000 hours of service
- The most popular stops are Union Station, 8th, & 13th
- More than 2.6 million square feet of proposed new development
- 770,000 square feet of development currently under construction
- $356,000 in completed projects since launch
- 4,967 students enrolled in the H Street/Benning Road Corridor
- 410 shows at the Atlas since launch
- 86,000 half-smoke served at the Ben's Chili Bowl on H Street
- 17,950 rounds of golf played at Langston Golf Course since launch
Washingtonian has more details on exactly what we'll find at the new version of Erik Bruner-Yang's Paper Horse inside the soon to open Whole Foods (600 H St.). Spoiler, ramen won't be on the menu.
Union Kitchen will hold an open house Saturday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at their Ivy City space (1369 New York Ave). The $10 ticket price gets you in, and food and beverage will be available for purchase. Come meet the makers of local and independent food and drink.