Tuesday, Feb. 28 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Union Market (1309 Fifth St.) hosts the Mardi Gras Extravaganza at Dock5. The event brings together more than 20 of the DC area’s best Southern-inspired restaurants, top mixologists, bars and breweries and rotating bands for a night of New Orleans style fun benefiting DC Central Kitchen and the Saint Bernard Project.
Dance the night away with live music from Dupont Brass (link plays music), Brass Connection Band and the Laissez Foure swinging jazz quartet. Local bartenders will compete to serve up the most creative and tasty riff on the Hurricane cocktail, while partygoers vie for the best costume trophy. Draft DC Brau and Abita beer will flow throughout the evening, and there will be plenty of southern food available to accompany it. Tickets are $65 (plus fees and tax) if you buy early, or $75 if you wait.
DC Harvest (517 H St.) is among the local spots offering special Valentine's Day items along with their regular menu. Here are their selections:
- Hawaiian kampachi crudo
- with avocado, fresh hearts of palm, white soy sauce, and spicy microgreens ($14, appetizer)
- white stone oysters
- with pickled ramp crema, popcorn shoots ($14, appetizer)
- pan roasted veal strip steak
- with charred broccoli, crisp maitake mushrooms, and a brandy green peppercorn cream ($32, entree)
- quinoa encrusted scallops
- with roasted beet purée, braised fennel, and a grapefruit emulsion ($30, entree)
- warm chocolate brioche bread pudding
- with raspberry purée, salted caramel, and whipped cream ($12, dessert serving two)