Monday, March 12, 2018

Surprise! Betsy DeVos is an Investor at a Local Ivy City Distillery

IMG_1903 

There was a bit of Twitter chatter yesterday as people realized that Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos appears to be an investor in local Ivy City distiller Jos. A. Magnus & Co.  (2052 West Virginia Avenue NE). This may explain a DeVos sighting some time back at the distillery's Murray Hill Club. Jos. A. Magnus & Co. is best known for their award winning bourbon.



The screenshot below is from page 43 of DeVos's Executive Branch Personnel
Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 278e). It shows the value of her holding to be between $500,000–$1,000,000. I expect we'll likely see more coverage of this top in local press.
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 7.09.43 AM


Washingtonian has additional coverage with more details (including a statement from the distillery).

13 comments:

Mari said...

Hopefully that is not a reason to hurt a local business and the employees who work there. It is unfair to the employees.

She gets way more from the Orlando Magic than from this distillery.

Anonymous said...

I'm all about local businesses and employees, but this place hurts itself all on it's own

Anonymous said...

god who cares

Anonymous said...

why is this even news

Annoyingmous said...

"god who cares"
"why is this even news"

Translation: I don't care about this; therefore, no one else should either.

poo said...

I care. This makes me very... ambivalent.
I suppose this sort of thing comes with the territory of "living in DC".
I choose to make my political voice heard at the polls. I wish more people would do the same.

Anonymous said...

oh, and if you care then everyone should? nice false equivalency there. go pound sand.

Anonymous said...

@12:22 Simply because you care about something does not mean it has any value to society.

I am adult and recognize and respect that other people may not share my feelings and I am not offended by that at all.

inked said...

Let me be clear, I just found this interesting and newsworthy. I am aware that some people on Twitter have called for a boycott. I see no cause for that. It's a local business and just some investor money.

gradpragmatic said...

Betsey DeVos also more than likely owns stock in Google, Facebook and Microsoft .. Just saying

Annoyingmous said...

Anon 7:16 -- how you got from my post that I was offended, or that I don't respect the fact that other people may not share my feelings, I'll never know. The logic part of your brain is broken. I recommend getting it fixed. HTH.

Anonymous said...

Well aren’t y’all just precious. Boycotting a business that accepts money from a Republican? Good luck doing business elsewhere....oh wait, I mean nowhere. Ignorant and yet so predictable.

Anonymous said...

I heard that the fairly liberal staff at Magnus are now getting some harrassing phone calls now. Just seems unfair to me to subject the staff to threats and boycotts just because some republican money was involved in it's founding.