Thursday, September 20, 2018

1101 Convenience Mart (aka Mimi's) Reportedly to Close at End of Month

DSC_0048 
1101 Convenience Mart in 2012

Reader Tapio wrote in recently with word that the 1101 Convenience Mart (aka Mimi's Convenience Mart) will close at the end of this month. He says they are selling everything (including beer and wine) at a discount. The building will reportedly be demolished to build condos. 


DSC_0714 
As the 2016 photo immediately above shows, this will not be the first building on that block to meet this fate. Since this photo was taken the Me & My Beer Market (1111 H St. NE) building on the other side of the former thrift store has been replaced with a multi-unit residential building.

DSC_0031 
Here's the block from a different angle (2016, still prior to demolition of 1111 H St. NE). I wrote a post back in July of this year about the building that replaced Me & My Beer Market, compete with tweeted images from Twitter user @theX2BusDC showing how it was constructed right up to the edge of the side balconies on the condos at 1115 H St. NE.

6 comments:

poo said...

DANG! H Street continues to push eastward... On another note, has anyone noticed the constant presence of police cars parked on Maryland Ave., right off the Starburst intersection? I leave for work early (4:00 a.m.) and there are usually two or three cars parked with spotlights on. They're often there in the afternoon on my way home too. This has been occurring for the last month or two...

pat said...

H street is a growth corridor. We should expect more investment.

I suspect the police are trying to keep a profile at the starburst intersection, just as they are
keeping a profile on 8th and H.

The city wants less drug dealing and dysfunction on H st.

I just hope they can come up with some more shelter space and with public bathrooms, so we don't have the misery of
San Francisco inflicted on us.

Hoger said...

Taylor closing all their stores.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/sandwich-chain-closes-because-customers-225349188.html

Anonymous said...

Got to keep an eye on the gentlemen of the plaza

poo said...

The plaza is definitely an area for caution. I was on my way to work (I usually pass by at around 4:30 a.m., on a motorcycle, on Bladensburg - southward from the Arboretum) and a kid came darting from the plaza at the intersection next to the gas station asking me if I wanted to "buy". He couldn't have been older than 13 or 14. This, despite the police presence. One has to worry about the well being of a kid out peddling who-knows-what that early in the morning. Tough corner. I will say though, that it appears that the scantily clad women are no longer around at that time of the morning. I guess the "wins" come in measured doses...?

pat said...

the scantily clad women displaying lingerie fashion have moved to L St... :-(

I have noticed a significant increase in street prostitution since the feds inflicted FOSTA/SESTA.