I too am surprised that someone has applied for a licence across from the Langston golf course. However, it is in walking distance of all the action. That is definitely a plus. In 5 to 10 years, the Langston neighborhood will look nothing like it does today and the owner of the Langston Bar and Grill will look like a genious.
Yeah, I agree w/ anon 1216. Over the last 7 years I've been in town the Hains Point golf course has gotten more and more popular with people who come from outside. I think Langston will also see more people traveling from longer distances to come and play and a place like that could get business from them...especially people who approached from the Benning side instead of H St.
A Benning Road renaissance? I'm not gonna hold my breath.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Langston Golf Course and can be found there most any weekend afternoon in decent weather, but the neighboring housing projects will keep that area low-rent for years to come. Perhaps Richard Layman or Inked can give counter examples, but such depressing, cell-block-style public housing is generally a huge roadblock to upscale development.
But I'm happy to give any new bar a try, particularly near one of my favorite places in the district.
Guys, please be polite. Remember that these people are your neighbors. I ask also that anonymous users leave some kind of tag [e.g. big green cat] for the sake of being able to follow a thread. Be respectful and have fun.
i'm not sure why, but, i find this totally odd.
ReplyDeletethe name sounds good, but i bet it'll be a crappy joint like all the other ones in that area.
by the way, how come inked isn't at the pug?
I too am surprised that someone has applied for a licence across from the Langston golf course. However, it is in walking distance of all the action. That is definitely a plus. In 5 to 10 years, the Langston neighborhood will look nothing like it does today and the owner of the Langston Bar and Grill will look like a genious.
ReplyDelete2 reasons to skip the Pug:
ReplyDelete1. homework
2. sick people and bars don't mix well.
Yeah, I agree w/ anon 1216. Over the last 7 years I've been in town the Hains Point golf course has gotten more and more popular with people who come from outside.
ReplyDeleteI think Langston will also see more people traveling from longer distances to come and play and a place like that could get business from them...especially people who approached from the Benning side instead of H St.
A Benning Road renaissance? I'm not gonna hold my breath.
ReplyDeleteDon't get me wrong, I LOVE Langston Golf Course and can be found there most any weekend afternoon in decent weather, but the neighboring housing projects will keep that area low-rent for years to come. Perhaps Richard Layman or Inked can give counter examples, but such depressing, cell-block-style public housing is generally a huge roadblock to upscale development.
But I'm happy to give any new bar a try, particularly near one of my favorite places in the district.
"such depressing, cell-block-style public housing is generally a huge roadblock to upscale development"
ReplyDeletePlenty of both in Columbia Heights...