Pages

▼

Thursday, July 08, 2010

CP: a Mixed Use Walmart Coming to Ward 5?

City Paper discusses Harry Thomas' comments about the Walmart that is expected to sign a lease in the fall for space near Bladensburg Road and New York Ave.  Here's the key quote from Thomas:

You’re talking about one big box store on that corner. I don’t think that would fit the needs of the residents. …Whatever it is, I don’t think it’s going to be a traditional Wal-Mart. No one has signed a deal. What I think you have is Wal-Mart being a potential anchor for Wal Mart as a mixed-use development there.

He also mentions that Lowes is a potential tenant.

15 comments:

  1. Arnold's Fried Chicken StandJul 8, 2010, 2:47:00 PM

    wow...a boy can dream...having a Lowes that close would be heavenly. Brentwood HD just doesnt cut it. Sorry. It's good in a pinch. But the New Carrolton Lowes gets most of my home improvement dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't imagine this will be a pretty process. I know I'm opposed - I'd much rather see H street (and the rest of NE) explode with small businesses and boutiques and other local retail than see WalMart go up, preempting that vibrancy, and leaving us with more bars and restaurants. I mean I like all the new bars and restaurants, but they alone can't hold H streets future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 11 acres...duh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be tough shaking those big box stores down for campaign contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walmart? Feh! Lowes? Bah!

    I'm tired of all the Newcomers and their namby-pamby yuppy boutiques. We could have a lead-smelting plant built on that corner in less than a month and start the tax receipts and jobs flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @oboe its hard to tell if your sarcastic or genuinely ridiculous...

    Part of city life is having easy access to local businesses and having to travel for the big box stuff... I'm fine with that. If I was in the suburbs, I'd expect the big box to be local, and to have to travel for more specialized things...

    I mean, we've survived for quite a while without a WalMart here, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Lowes would be awesome... or a Target.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd prefer a Target. They seem more upscale and considering that Walmarts are a complete shit show in the suburbs, I cant imagine the characters we'd attract at one in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. par for the area

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd opt for a Pottery Barn or Smith & Hawkin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smith and Hawkin went out of business. Too bad. I'm sure they were just about to open up on Bladensberg...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @oboe its hard to tell if your sarcastic or genuinely ridiculous...

    I refuse to choose one or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ oboe, and for that, you win. I'm not sure what, but that was a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wait... why can't we have BOTH a lead smelting plant AND a Wal-Mart?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I demand a Laura Ashley boutique on that site!

    ReplyDelete

Guys, please be polite. Remember that these people are your neighbors. I ask also that anonymous users leave some kind of tag [e.g. big green cat] for the sake of being able to follow a thread. Be respectful and have fun.