Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Different Housing Styles in Trinidad

I decided to take my camera for a little walk through Trinidad last saturday, and I was really struck by all the different styles of houses that I saw. I shot more than a hundred photos, so the houses you see below only represent a small sample. Still, I wanted to post them for two (related) reasons:

-there isn't much information about Trinidad available online, and what is there is mostly a bunch of old articles about the neighborhood's hard times. You see words like "gritty" and "crack," but you never see the neighborhood itself.

-largely because of Trinidad's tough image, many people in DC (even those who live near Trinidad) have never really seen much of the neighborhood. I just wanted to offer a peak.
Up Montello
This is further up Montello (I believe these houses are from the 1600 block).
Montello Single
This detached house is on the 1300 block of Montello.
Typical Trinidad
This is what pops into my mind when I think about the typical Trinidad rowhouse. These houses are just off Montello on Neal Street.

Montello -Narpac clone
This shot is from the 1200 block of Montello. If this one looks vaguely familiar (and you haven't strolled down Montello recently), it could be because a very similar shot can be found on the NARPAC website.
Morse (just off Trinidad)
More colorful homes, this time on Morse.
Rowhouses 1300 block Montello
And finally...from the 1300 block of Montello.

4 comments:

Richard Layman said...

Nice. DC doesn't have a book comparable to the Baltimore Rowhouse or the book on Manhattan by Charles Lockwood, both which exhaustively cover the development of historic building stock in their respective cities. Two books that offer some line drawings that include some of these styles are _Anacostia Conserved_ and _LeDroit Park Conserved_ which were published by DC's Dept. of Housing and Community Development in 1979. They are long out of print but are available at the Washingtoniana division of the main branch of the DC Public Library. The detached house shocked me, I'd never seen it. Lower Trinidad has housing stock comparable to that of greater Capitol Hill as it was constructed around the same time, starting in the 1880s. (Some of the history of Trinidad is described in the history statement of the neighborhood directly south, which is at www.voiceofthehill.com/HStHistory.htm.

Well done.

Anonymous said...

More great informed pictures! You have great vision. This really is a interesting and informative site.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for covering Trinidad! You're right - there aren't a lot of very positive things out there on the web about it.

Anonymous said...

This post was cool--it's been on my mind for a while. I finally posted a 'sequel' to it in my journal.
I find it interesting how on Morse and Montello and a couple other places the housing stock does look like that below Fla. ave. And I wonder what would happen if we all started painting our drab brown brick jobs further up here in my part of the neighborhood.