Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Don Pepe Bakery & Cafe

I stopped by to check out Richard's report that Don Pepe's had expanded and opened up a coffee shop. I wasn't sure what I'd find, maybe just a couple of tables set up next to where Don Pepe's always sold its coffee. What I found wasn't a coffee shop, but actually a little cafe. I took photos too, but I need to upload them. They serve Mexican/Salvadorian food (I only had the coffee, because I already had made breakfast plans) and have lots of little pastries (I didn't ask if they made them in-house) off to the side. They were doing some good business this morning and people were ordering big plates of beans and rice with meats, or mixed vegetables and then adding heaping sides of plantains. They also had some sort of sweet beverage someone told me was made of black corn. I also saw what looked to be flour tortilla wrapped burritos, and a sign announced that they have meat and chicken tacos. They've got 4-5 tables, and a little side-bar with bar stools. Food is, of course, also available for carry-out. It's great to have another sit-down option in the Market, and I suspect that this place will become a regular stop for me. They close at 3pm. This is next door to Don Pepe's, which is located at 300 Morse (but that funny part of Morse that runs at a 90 degree angle to the rest of the street and replaces 3rd Street). This map from the Post should give you the idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of coffee shops, any word on when Sova will open their doors?

Anonymous said...

The new cafe sounds great... the more options around there, the better. I'm looking forward to heading over there on Saturday. It will also be nice to see some pictures!