Tuesday, February 01, 2005

DC Housing Prices Skyrocket (as if you hadn't noticed)

Today's Post featured an article on the continuing escalation of District housing prices to obscene levels. Seriously, who can afford these places? I read the Sunday Post (while sipping my latte at Rhythm & Beans) & I swear that I laughed more at the real estate listings that at the comics. I saw two houses on G St. (9th & 10th I think) listed for $700-800,000. Scandalous! For those who don't know, there is a small pocket of trouble between 8th & 10th, & H St & Maryland. This small patch features a House of Ruth (reportedly complete with drug & prostitution problems), a troubled (read home to drug use & sales) rowhouse, & a half-renovated building with a big hole in the ground (also rumored to host prostitution & drug activity). In recent memory the area also boasted a death shrine (10th & G St.) [Update: The February Issue of Voice of the Hill states that the 600 block of 10th St. NE "was the location of three homicides and four shootings as well as drug activity"] with a baseball bat and various liquor bottles suggesting (based on what I've heard, & an old Post article) that the shrine commemorates a revenge killing. I also recall (about two years ago) a rash of muggings in the area. Two young men, generally armed with a handgun, carried out these muggings. On at least one occasion these men had a 2'x4' instead of a gun and the used the lumber to beat one of their victims (they robbed a couple) when the loot was dissatisfying. So, you too (if you're lucky enough to qualify) can pay 3/4 of a million dollars to experience city living dc style.
[I should state that this area has greatly improved in the past few years, and they do have a nice new community rec center. I have no doubt that this area will totally clean up (I don't mean to bash it in the first place). I'm just poking a little fun at the crazy prices in DC.]

No comments: