Friday, September 09, 2005

Window Art on H Street

I haven't had time to post any photos yet, but I wanted to point out the fish art hanging in the window of a building in the 1300 block of H Street. The building is empty & has been for a while, but the window decorations add a little life to the space (something to look at other than a vacant window). Placing window art in vacant buildings is hardly a new idea. It has certainly been suggested on H Street before, but this is the first time (outside of the window displays at -the not vacant- Sanctuary). I hope we'll see more art popping up in H Street windows. It would be a great showcase for local artists (maybe some art students from Gallaudet?).

2 comments:

Richard Layman said...

One of the earliest suggestions I made in H Street Main Street, in January 2003, was the development of a "phantom gallery" program along the lines you mentioned. I never had too much support for things outside of my committee though... (but that I was used is another issue I don't want to cover). I've written about such efforts from time to time in my blog. Check out links to Urban Culture Project, Storefront Artist Project, and Paducah KY in the "community revitalization" section of links in my blog for other examples.

Anonymous said...

the fish really are cool. Can you get a pictureand post it?