Wednesday, July 26, 2006

BIDs & Main Street: What Are They?

Considering all the recent chatter about BIDs & HSMS (I'm not even going to touch the (often called corrupt) H Street CDC) I thought I'd offer a few links on the Main Street idea & BIDs (but I'm mostly going to give you stuff from Rebuilding Place since he is covering the topic & I'm in a bit of a time crunch studying for a Property final tomorrow). Please do click on the BID links above, as they go to pretty useful sites & not just to the discussions you may have seen flying around).

Rebuilding Place: Business Improvement Districts -Update (check out the link to the Adams Morgan Mains Street page & please note that Alex Padro is also an ANC member).

Rebuilding Place: Frankenstein Begat His Monster -Specifically about HSMS, but please remember that Richard's involvement with HSMS is a bit of a sore spot, so it isn't realistic to think that he can be completely objective on this point. Richard mentions CDBG funds in this post. Here's a little info on those.

A planning course at UNC Chapel Hill's explanation of BIDs

Hell's Kitchen.Net's info on BIDs

Business Improvement Districts & Innovative Service Delivery
-a report from 1999 looking at BIDs nationwide (pdf)

Reason Online
-Beyond Public & Private: Business Improvement Districts Don't Fit Our Ordinary Categories

Cornell's Dept of City & Regional Planning -Business Improvement Districts: Issues in Alternative Local Public Service Provision

The Capitol Hill BID

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great, Elise! Thanks to you and Richard for making all of this information available to us. I have to admit I am pretty clueless when it comes to all of this BID stuff so I will be sure to check out these resources as the issue develops on H Street. Hopefully all the back and forth between various H Street business and community leaders will lead to a solution that truly makes sense. We need to come up with a way to make H Street a clean, safe and attractive area for all to enjoy. I believe we're all working toward this same goal no matter what our differences may be.

Richard Layman said...

I will say that given the history that you refer to as "a sore point" I think I do a pretty good job being objective.

And in your other entry on this topic, I was sorry to read Susanna Pieslak's comment. It's unfortunate...