Pages

Monday, December 03, 2007

WP: Go-Go Offers Music, HIV Tests

the Post reports on a recent go-go concert held at the Market Lounge, located directly above the DC Farmers Market in the Florida Market. The Concert, which was not restricted to a teenage audience, was sponsored by Metro TeenAIDS. Attendees could pay the $10 entry fee, or they could get in for free if they submitted to an oral swab HIV test.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cool event -- raising awareness and encouraging testing. But for some reason, using an HIV test for free admission doesn't sit well with me. Isn't the decision to get tested a rather serious one? I'm sure that anyone who's positive will receive counseling upon diagnosis, but pre-test counseling can also help to prepare people for the potential outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds from the article as though they do pre-test counseling. I don't think the decision to get tested should be a serious one. I think that the general goal is not only to get a lot of people tested, but also to normalize getting tested such that it becomes both something everyone (who is at risk) does and something that people do routinely.

    ReplyDelete

Guys, please be polite. Remember that these people are your neighbors. I ask also that anonymous users leave some kind of tag [e.g. big green cat] for the sake of being able to follow a thread. Be respectful and have fun.