Thursday, July 22, 2010

DDOT Shares Historic Photos

Here are a couple from our area (the old B and Ws are from DDOT). Here is the link to the DDOT Flickr account.

DDOT- H Street, NE, looking west @ 7 Street. (Sept 1, 1961)

DDOT- H Street, NE, looking west at 7 Street. Sept 1, 1961. This photo was taken from atop the car dealership that is now H Street Self Storage.

IMG_936
Self Storage in 2006.

DDOT- 15th & Benning "The Hub"
DDOT- 15th and H Street "The Hub" looking east down Benning Road. 1945. That's the Argonaut on your right. Back then it was a restaurant called Bob White's. The Car Barn (demolished and replaced by the Pentacle) is down a block.

IMG_1054.JPG
The Argo and the Pentacle circa 2006.

P1010125
The Argo in 2005.

I think I've actually used both of these photos he before, but we haven't seen them recently, so enjoy.

7 comments:

Campy said...

Thanks for posting, I find these old photos fascinating.

Dave B said...

That Buick one is cool. I've never seen a rooftop showroom. H St must have been bustling back then

not on parker said...

These used to be (and might still be) posted on ddot.dc.gov. The Library of Congress photo collection (memory.loc.gov) has lots of H Street pictures too...

Anonymous said...

I have to say... the argo's paint color increasingly grates on my nerves everytime I see it.

I know, I know, to each his own but it looks like a sailor's poo after eating a hundred limes to avoid the scurvy.

Anonymous said...

Argonaut is the best maintained storefront on that block. Considering how much people complain about store fronts, signage, and upkeep. The color should be the least of our worries.

Anonymous said...

touche... good point. Though "Fairfax Beige" would be a nice fit.

oboe said...

I have to say... the argo's paint color increasingly grates on my nerves everytime I see it.

What is it with you newcomer-gentrifiers moving in and immediately trying to change things. You know what? The Argonaut is an old-timer-gentrifier institution, and has been painted that color going all the way back to 2005!

Learn about your neighborhood's history before spouting off!