Friday, January 25, 2008

Nouveau Fleur Blooms on H

IMG_5003
Many of you may have noticed something new occupying the first floor space in the Language Doctors building. The building, located on the northeast corner of 5th and H, doesn't yet boast a permanent sign on the first floor, but a white banner announces the opening of a new business. The business is Nouveau Fleur, and a visit inside is sure to impress.
IMG_5010
An assortment of arrangements and single flowers greet visitors upon entry. When I stopped by they were running a special on Star Gazer Lilies.
IMG_5011
Owner, Debbie Moultry, and her sister pose for the camera. Both women are Master Gardens who are very excited to finally see the dream of Nouveau Fleur realized. In addition to the many cut flowers, pots, and living plants on sale in the shop, Ms. Moultry also offers event planning services.
IMG_5023
The space is very nicely decorated and has a light and airy feel that fits its purpose well.
IMG_5027
IMG_5007
Proving that Nouveau Fleur is more than just a good choice for Valentine's Day, or brightening up your dining room, both women spoke of their hope that customers will return for advice on how to care for living plants.
IMG_5025
They also spoke of plans, once the weather turns to spring, to offer herbs, and other plants out in the patio area. In addition, they will offer classes in caring for plants, composting, and other areas.
IMG_5029
Whether you make a special trip, or stop by after yoga, or coffee, you'll definitely be impressed by what's sprouted on this corner. Nouveau Fleur, 500 H Street, 202-352-2153.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absoulutely beautiful space! Best of luck to Ms. Moultry. I wish her many, many years of success on H St. Can't wait to go in there.

Tom A. said...

woah! classy! Thanks for the info and great pics.

Anonymous said...

The sisters look like a really fun couple of ladies. I'd stop in and talk plants with them anyday.

Congrats to them for having the courage to open this place.

Anonymous said...

holy crap!
that's an amazing store!
it's so... professional looking.

with karma like that, it's bound to do very well.

great pix, inked!

Unknown said...

My husband bought me the star gazer lilies. Not only were they beautiful and smelled wonderful, but they lasted a full week before I had to throw them away!

Anonymous said...

This is a really amazing store. I hope that they do really well. Our roses are still going fresh even after a week.

Anonymous said...

Inked - beautiful pictures - thank you for sharing. Welcome to the neighborhood Nouveau Fleur - we are so glad you are here!

Anonymous said...

Looks great- finally a store (non bar or Sidamo) on H Street I will use!!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW. I went in this morning. I chose one element and described my vase, and Debbie took off, making an exqusite bouquet for me. The price was excellent too. If you live in the area, you have to check it out:)

Anonymous said...

We've had great luck from NF already. My husband also bought me lilies that lasted a week, and I picked up a very cool pineapple plant. I just ordered a custom arrangment that I can't wait to see. They are truly a great addition to the neighborhood!

Anonymous said...

I have to echo what Tcush said ... finally a store (not counting Sidamo or Smile Cleaners) on H Street that I'll use Welcome to the neighborhoood NF, I'll stop by this afternoon!

Alan Page said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL store. Wow. I'm really proud to have a store on H St that puts together this level of quality in their presentation/decor (aesthetics count too!). I'm also VERY glad to hear they also offer superior service/goods. Hope they get loads of business on Valentine's!

Anonymous said...

Stopped in on Thursday. The shop is GORGEOUS, and Debbie is charming. We chatted for a bit. I told her what flowers I liked and how much I wanted to spend, and she put together a lovely bouquet for me, plus threw in a few slightly-past prime lilies for free. The flowers (even the lilies) still look great. She also mentioned two pieces of relevant info: first, she generally orders on Fridays for the weekend, so weekends are the best time to come in for greatest selection, and two, if you have any particular favorite flowers, let her know before Friday and she'll get them in for you.

Anonymous said...

8th and el said... "The price was excellent." OK, I don't know anything about florists, since I get my flowers from guys outside the metro or at grocery stores. Still, I was shocked at the prices at Nouveau Fleur: e.g., $3 a stem for tulips, when you can get 10 for $5.99 at Safeway.

Is this a typical price for a florist? Or are there discounts when you get a whole bouquet?

It looks like a great shop, and I wish it great success, but if it's as expensive as it seemed to me, I don't know how many customers it will attract.

Anonymous said...

npm,

Yes, the prices are great for a boutique florist. My arrangement should have cost $30- $40, and would have been downtown. The personal touch was an added bonus. Debbie kept saying to me "I know what you want" when she was putting together the bouquet, and she was right. I would have never found something like what I picked up from NF at Safeway: an arrangement unique and personal.

If fresh cut flowers are not your thing, they have an entire downstairs dedicated to pottery and herbs. I haven't gone down there yet, but I'm anxious to check out these pineapple plants everybody's talking about. The way my flowers look now, it might not be until Valentine's Day before I go back:)

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that my arrangement cost $20. Pretty good. Pretty damn good. I got more than I needed for my money

Anonymous said...

Just want to echo the rave reviews everyone is giving this place. I have never had such friendly and knowledgeable service at a florist before. Debbie made me a beautiful unique bouquet for less than $20. I asked about the other plants and she gave me a rundown without pushing for an expensive sale. I will definitely go back, I hope this shop thrives on H.

Anonymous said...

I was so sorry to discover that the flower shop closed! Does anyone know if she is just relocating?

inked said...

They are looking at other potential locations. You can still call them to order flowers. 202-543-8616.