Friday, September 02, 2005

Hurricane Refugees in DC

This is a repost from the HillEast listserv (I don't usually repost from there, but I think this one is okay). I'll admit that I have tons of family in southern Lousiniana (so this is an issue that is a bit near & dear to me). Beyond that (& I'm sure you guys don't really need any convincing, but...) this a serious humanitarian issue (with definite class/race issues involved) right here in the U.S. So, despite the fact that it is not specifically Trinidad, or H Street, I hope that you will all take advantage of this chance/obligation to help out. If you are like me and can't physically help out in the tramatised gulf states because of work/school, you should definitely take advantage of the notice below. If this doesn't work with your schedule/they get too many volunteers, i hope you will consider donating to the Red Cross/Second Harvest (a group I have worked with in New Orleans) or other worthy organizations. Also, I take that back about this not being a specifically Trinidad, or H Street issue. The fact is that some of these kids will flow into the DCPS system. So there, it's now everyone's business. The original posting:

Okay folks--now we have a chance to do something in our own neighborhood
for the Hurricane Victims!!
The Red Cross and USAID need our help---it's all still very very
preliminary--but approx 500-1000 refugees are coming from primarily New
Orleans to stay at the armory on Capitol Hill in the coming days...they
are going to need volunteers to help the Victims get settled here and
doing a variety of tasks as we all attempt to bring some sense of safety
and normalcy back into their lives. Here is the e-mail from
Jeffrey--please click on his e-mail link to give him your best contact
info in the coming days/weeks...
Please read below

If you are interested in volunteering with the American Red Cross National
Capital Area Chapter, please send me your name, phone number, and e-mail
address. I'll compile a list and send it over to the Red Cross. They don't
have too many details yet, but they are still planning on roughly 400
folks from affected areas arriving sometime on Sunday (although the
situation is very fluid). The idea is that the displaced would be housed
at the DC Armory in a shelter managed by the Red Cross. Volunteers would
likely help with set up, registration, distribution of hygiene kits, and
food.
The POC at Red Cross for the Armory is Jeffrey Daniels - his contact info
is listed below. However, it would be helpful if you sent your information
to me so that I can forward Jeffrey a consolidated list. This way, he'll
have less phone calls and e-mails to return. It would be great if you
could send me your contact info by COB today (Friday).
The situation is still evolving, so please be patient...
Jeffrey Daniels
Manager, Emergency Services -- Washington, D.C.
American Red Cross of the National Capital Area
District of Columbia Office
2025 E St., NW | Suite SE1-068
Washington, DC 20006
ph: (202) 303-4521
danielsj@redcrossnca.org



1 comment:

dc gal said...

Inked,

Thanks for the info. This week no matter what neighborhood in this country we live, we're all citizens of New Orleans. I've linked your site to my blog so more people will know about your site.

Best,
Angela