Sunday, June 08, 2008

NYT: Gentrification in Portland

Here's an article that I read when it first came out, and I meant to post it before, but I've been preoccupied with academic and ANC issues. It's about Portland, Oregon. I haven't been to Oregon since I was 4, so though I do retain some memory of the place, it is very limited. One interesting point is I had no idea that the city of Portland is only 7 percent black. I've never been to Portland, but I follow some news stories from there because they have very extensive zoning laws, and I'm interested in how that works. I also follow certain stories from Houston, which really doesn't do the zoning law thing, so the two cities are basically polar opposites on the issue. Portland is dealing with many different issues than we deal with here, but I still thought this story on gentrification in Portland might be of interest.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poland has been gentrified?

Black people in Poland?

God forbid.

Anonymous said...

To 7:31-
It's PORTLAND, not Poland. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!! Our hood is really screwed..I mean how do you get PORTLAND and POLAND mixed up?

MPD please setup another road block immediately....

Anonymous said...

Didn't Portland just lose to Germany in the European Cup?

Why are they in the same geographical bracket?

Anonymous said...

10:36,

the portland fans also got into it with the german fans outside the stadium. near soccer riot, but the police clamped down just in time. who would have thought those portland peeps could get so rowdy!

Anonymous said...

Actually, Germaine Greer just called Poland fans racist because there weren't enough black people in their ghettos.

Anonymous said...

Is it me or did the first half of that article read almost like a parody?

Anonymous said...

“I’ve learned two things about all you guys already — why the houses aren’t fixed up and why you guys are riding around in all these big flashy cars,” Ms. Laufer, 55, a nurse practitioner, said.

Ms Laufer does not live in Portland! She lives right here and often posts on FT. I am sure of it!

Anonymous said...

I think the article proves one thing: either German, Polish or African American, we all love a good sausage once in awhile.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but can the sausage unite us?

Anonymous said...

Polka til you drop!

Anonymous said...

I thought that this article looked familiar. It was covered in Stuff White People Like.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone else pick up on the victim/entitlement tones of the article?

"That might mean that whites appeal to the city to help black businesses or complain to companies that put fliers on the doors of black property owners encouraging them to sell."

tay said...

There is an advantage to getrification, if you only think monitarily.If It's all about the more affluent amongst us that you value... Consider, displacing those who, it doesn't benefit.Consider, it goes beyond money, and falls in to the realm of overall, social, well being. If you only care about taking care of yourself, then so be it. But if you are interested in self improvement or evolution. Think.