Sunday, December 20, 2009

Enjoying the Snowy Weekend

I just finished what will hopefully be my last attempt at shoveling the front stairs and walk. I did salt beforehand, but that won't do much against this level of snow. Yesterday around 12:30pm I ventured out with a friend on H Street to take some photos. We had planned to get a hot beverage at Sova, but ran into a couple of friends headed to the Pug. We joined up, and ended up spending the next few hours there (more friends kept calling and showing up). I hadn't been to brunch at the Pug in a while. For those who don't know, Pug serves something called Hangover Hash. Really it is sausages, more sausage, potatoes, peppers, and lots of white gravy.  You may feel your arteries beginning to clog just reading about it, but it was the perfect meal for an icy day.

The Pug had a smallish crowd when we arrived (around 1pm), but that changed fast. More neighbors showed up, and I spotted a table of folks from Sticky Rice (closed), and staff from Sova (closed), granville's (open), and the Country Club (open, I think). There was even an unplanned jam session involving a guitar, a ukulele, and an accordian.  After that I trudged over to the house of a friend where we watched Fargo, and Y Tu Mama Tambien over multiple cups of tea, ships, olives, and a small amount of Hornitos Reposado.

From there I headed home, encountering two vehicles stuck in the alley over my one block treck home. Once there I exchanged texts with friends who were considering heading to Little Miss Whiskey's for a Blizzarding Party that featured half price everything behind the bar. I was happy to stay home with a book at that point, but I heard it was quite the occasion.

How did you spend the snowy weekend?

I have a few photos to upload soon, and please share your photos by uploading them to the Frozen Tropics Flickr group.

3 comments:

Snow day said...

Yesterday was awesome. I shoveled the walk then went sledding at Gallaudet with some friends. We found a good hill at the very back of campus by the practice football field. Our cardboard box sleds weren't the most effective and it was pretty cold, but flasks of whiskey and a thermos of wassail helped. We went to the Pug later and it was a really fun local and hammered crowd. After that it was Beatles Rock band, board games and lots of booze at another friend's house. Love these once every several year blizzards in DC.

Da poo thinks about snow said...

F@ck snow is heavy. It looks all dainty, but DAMN its heavy!!!! Just digging out the car was crazy. It's cold outside, I'm sweating in multiple layers... What the hell???? I'm thinking that snow is a woman. I know, I know. Sexist, etc. But..... So pretty to look at, but a handful at the end of the day. Ouch, my back.....

Anonymous said...

This was funny to read.... I was in the Pug playing ukulele! Great snow day!