Monday, October 11, 2010

More ANC Numbers to Make Your Head Hurt

An individual report is out for ANC 6A, but not for 6C or 5B. But we can look at the larger reports. The salaries and wages aren't the only numbers to check out. I suggest focusing on grants, and "services purchased."  ANC 6A and ANC 6C look pretty good, but ANC 5B looks a tad screwy. ANC 6A spent $10,219 on services purchased. Those services included "disbursements for a traffic impact study, advertising, and administrative and interpreter services." Ok, cool. ANC 6C spent $2,940.59 on services purchased. Those funds paid for administrative services, advertising, and webhosting. Alright, sure. But then ANC 5B spent $18,912.68 on services purchased, and the gloss explains this only as "administrative services." When I was on ANC 5B (I served one term, and did not seek re-election) I was the Secretary, and I took, typed, and distributed (electronically) all the meeting minutes. We employed someone for "administrative services" at the time (I'm guessing it might still be the same person), so I'm pretty sure that taking, typing, and distributing, minutes isn't part of those administrative services. I'm wondering exactly what that does include, since we paid close to $20,000 for it.

Now let's look at grants:
ANC 6A $5,694.96
ANC 6C $7,500.00
ANC 5B $0.00

Ok, now total expenditures:
ANC 6A $19,278.85
ANC 6C $10,943.65
ANC 5B $27,390.60

Now you're probably like, WTF ANC 5B? Right? Well, I'd like to point out that ANC 5B is bigger than these other two ANCs in terms of population*, so they get more funds. But, that still doesn't explain to me why more than 2/3 of the funds being spent in 5B went to administrative services.** In my time on ANC 5B I was never really able to pin down exactly what our administrative person did (granted, she was ill part of the time, so that might explain part of it). Perhaps the role is more active now, but I kind of doubt it.

Check out the breakdown of expenditures for all three of these ANCs by downloading the info from the DC Auditor. Trust me, it isn't boring. It will, however, leave you with nagging questions. I mean, what's this $1,080.01 in bank fees about? Sheesh!

-----------------------------------------------

*Each SMD theoretically represents 2,000 residents. ANC 6A has 8 Commissioners, ANC 6C has 9, and ANC 5B has 12.

**ANC 5A and ANC 5C have 12 Commissioners each (just like 5B). They spent, respectively, $536.28 and $287.00 on services purchased. Neither one of these ANCs paid any salaries or wages in 2009. Total funds spent on services purchased in Ward 5: $19,735.92. Let's do a little math. $18,912.68/$19,735.92=.95828722451. So, 96% of the money spent on "services purchased" in Ward 5 went to administrative services for ANC 5B.

Any thoughts?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Are the contracts, agreements etc subject to foia?

DCJaded said...

As I understand it, werent a few ANC commissioners accused of using these funds to secure mini-fiefdoms and buy votes back in the day?

inked said...

You should be able to use FOIA to get more info on what "administrative services" means, and who 5B is paying. You could also maybe just ask 5B (don't know how detailed they would be), or the auditor. But yes, all the info should be accessible.

Anonymous said...

who do we go to for answers? because some of these expenses are crazy

Aceli said...

Something is hinky about that. Is the DC Auditor looking into the expenditures?

Unknown said...

Since I'm in 5B and I was at a meeting with my ANC I asked her, she's going to look in to it. I sent her a marked up copy of the 5B 2009 report. I don't think we can draw any conclusions, or make any insinuations just yet (hinky and crazy). If 5B has a Personal Services Contract for part a part time staffer then that would explain the $18K, should they have that is another matter however, at least my SMD ANC was aware of the expense. Whether the acquisition has merit is not something I can say. If there's the need and the ANC voted in support of it then it's approved. It's that simple. The bank fees are concerning, but vice eisegesizing I simply asked and will await a response.

I really was amazed at how small the budget was, It didn't even get into real money.

inked said...

Spending that amount of money on administrative services is legally permissible (ANC 5B has done it for at least 5 years). What I'm saying is that we shouldn't be spending that amount of money. Only one ANC (3D) spent more than we did on these types of services.

Admin services represented over 2/3 of our total spending, and the figure for grants was $0.

More of the money should go to the community. If most other Commissions can get by on $2-5,000, or less, why can't we?

If people dislike the way ANC 5B chooses to spend its funds they should let their individual Commissioner know, but also go and speak during the community comment portion of the ANC meeting.

Unknown said...

"What I'm saying is that we shouldn't be spending that amount of money. Only one ANC (3D) spent more than we did on these types of services. "

Well weren't you part of it during some of that five year period? I mean isn't there culpability there for all who served on 5B ANC. Over the five year span at least from 5B08 there have been three SMD ANCs and you were one of them. If you really believed what you wrote now then, then what efforts were taken while you served to combat what you see as spending that shouldn't be? This is a real question. Is 5B intractable or have no real efforts been made to investigate these questions? Are their documents that detail how these decisions were made and who authorized the spending? They will be needed to hold elected officials accountable.

I've ask formal questions of my SMD ANC. I don't know why a personal services contractor is needed, but they vote on it at open meetings. I would like an explanation, seeing as other nearby ANCs don't have this expense. However, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there, it just means it needs explanation.

5B needs to award grants, I think my current SMD ANC supports that, you supported that when you served. I've asked for the status of the grant situation multiple times as well.

In the end we are faced with an unclear audit of spending and more information is needed before a determination of should or should not can be made. Its the only fair thing to do.


$19K isn't a lot of money, even for a part time staffer the SCA WD for an admin is $31.41/hour at that rate 19K will only buy you 605 hrs that's about 3.7 Months of work.

Unknown said...

I think it would be advisable for anyone with questions to attend at least a couple ANC meetings. All decisions are brought up and voted on in public, which would include the decision to hire a staff person.
Everyone is invited to attend and could raise any and all concerns at that time and would be able to develop a clear understanding of any explanations provided. It seems if someone is truly that interested they would prefer to show up and let their voice be heard before the ANC rather than choose to engage in so much conjecture and judgement from a distance. Perhaps one might get some answers to the accusatory questions posed here ?

inked said...

Robby,
as I said, the staff person was ill for a prolonged time while I was on 5B, so she wasn't available. I'm pretty sure we didn't pay her while she was totally unavailable, but I haven't seen the numbers for those years recently.

I did object to the bank fees, and was told they'd be resolved and all monies refunded.

What I'm suggesting is that, after comparing ANC 5B's numbers to those of other ANCs, our numbers look really bad.

Unknown said...

Elise: I don't know if they look bad. They are an outlier and require additional information. I've brought this up with Tina. I'm not sure what happened during those 5 years, but we can find out. Regarding the bank fees It seems like 5B paid again at least in 2009.

Tina: While attending meetings is great, I remember from my time in DC, that DC for the most part should provide detailed information as a matter of policy. The Auditor's report is less in-depth than reports small non-profits have to submit for small grants.

It is 5B's or the Auditor's fault for this , I don't know. However, I've asked a series of questions.

I'm sorry if you think asking very specific questions regarding public funds is accusatory. I consider civic engagement the basis for the american form of government. The public sector works for the public, and are accountable to the public in several ways. That includes ANCs.

We need to demand more from all levels of government and more from the DC Auditors office it seems.

All: I'm a government person, I studied Public Admin, and work in the public sector at a relatively high level. I take this stuff very seriously and the expectation is that all public and civil servants do as well. I'm rather data driven and where there are gaps, outliers, and inconsistencies I raise questions. I'm also rather persistent. That's the job of an informed electorate and public.