Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Comments Experiment Over

The Open ID experiment is over. It was always intended to be temporary. I hope that people understood the point, and will be respectful. I am asking, because it's annoying to me, as well as to others, not only to have rude and hostile comments with little substantive value [and sometimes none], but also to have to look at an entire thread with many commentors posting as anonymous and not leaving a tag because you can't tell who is posting more than once, or replying to what. Go ahead and post as anonymous, but please leave a tag [e.g. big blue fish] in the header/body of your post. If we continue to have a severe problem with trolls, I will go with Open ID permanently. But I do prefer to make it easy for people to comment without having to really login to anything. I want us all to behave like adults. So have fun, but be respectful.

For those interested, response both here, and elsewhere [including offline] was mixed, but mostly supportive for the Open ID thing. Personally, I hate that kind of stuff and would only move to it as a last resort. I just wanted to give people pause. For the few people that raised censorship related issues [no one raised it head on], I don't advocate censorship, but this effort wasn't about censorship, just about making people consider how much they really wanted to post that crazy rant. In all my time running this blog I think I've deleted 4 comments since late 2004 [one was defamatory, and three were racist/homophobic with no redeeming value at all] that weren't just spam/duplicates. I don't know how many comments Frozen Tropics has received, but this is WAY less than 1 percent of the total. I believe in the free flow of information. I just hope people will think before they post.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh noes! I liked the OpenID thing... Except for the spammers. Losers always find a way to be losers. Oh well.

Tom A. said...

Well FT is a valuable community resource, so whatever works for you, do it!

inked said...

8th and El,
Consider this a test as well. But please don't be playing the LOL thing here. To that I do object.

Anonymous said...

Yay inked!!!!!!!

inked said...

Seriously 342, leave a tag. It takes less than a second. Please take the time.

Anonymous said...

yep, yay Inked!




gaygreygreengripguy

Anonymous said...

Joe Englert said:

Thank you Elise for doing such a wonderful job!

p.S.--what's up with cheesecake photo in the Post today? (do you have a publicist?) Good job!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Inked, you do a killer job

Anonymous said...

ahhhh...

NOW i can breathe.

thk u!

Anonymous said...

Inked,
Thank you for all your hard work and posts over the last three years!! This blog has been essential to the growth and development of Hst and the atlas district.
It is very hard for a buisness to even ask you to post anything as of late,with all of the negitivity. I hope it will stop and that buisnesses will be comfortable posting again!

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, poo poo can text speak, but I can't LOLcats? No fair!

inked said...

8th and El,
Poo Poo has a special dispensation. I think he has some disability that only allows him to text speak.

Alan Page said...

thank you for running this blog, inked.

let's be civil, folks!

Alan Page said...

and, oh, i've been begging folks to use tags for forever now. makes responding to individuals and tracking their responses to your responses way easier.